Good book for beginners - recommendations please.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenjoebutler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there,

My husband has asked for a beehive (and bees of course) for his birthday but he would like to read up on how to get started first, could anyone recommend a good book for absolute beginners.

All and any advice will be very greatfully appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Helen and Joe.

Welcome to the forum helenjoebutler
"Guide to Bees & Honey" by Ted Hooper MBE seems to be pretty much indispensable.
Paul Metcalfe's DVD is very good too.
There will be lots of other suggestions from forum members shortly, to be sure :)

Im doing the same can recommend the haynes one well written lots of color pictures and usefull info and [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]also Practical Beekeeping by Clive De Bruynthat im half way through at the moment.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Hunter, Manual of beekeeping is very readable.

But very many of us like Guide to Bees and Honey by Ted Hooper.

Both can be downloaded from the wibbly wobbly web and there is a post somewhere in the Forum.

But I'm about to start off with bees in April, and am on my 3rd reading of Hooper.

If you want him to keep relatively sane, warn him that this Forum is likely to play with his head!

Hope his plans come right.

And good on you for supporting him. My boss-lady bought me a course.
In return, I've hidden the receipts for equipment.
So far so good.

Dusty.

+1 for Ted Hoopers book. I also reccommend a course in beekeeping either before he gets his bees too, not too expensive and will gather a lot of experience and advice mixing with other beekeepers. Thats what I did, it also helps to know how confident you are with lots of angry bees buzzing around you.

Welcome

May I suggest seek out local beekeeping association. No need to be a full member till have bees but should make some good contacts, equipment at auction and some hands on training as well, (hopefully!!).

Good luck.

Claire Waring's book comes recommended as a bit more up to date than Hooper...Beginning with Bees or similar title. And welcome :)

'Bees at the bottom of the garden' by Alan Campion
e

If you've a "The Works" near you they are currently selling 'Keeping Bees' by Pam Gregory and Claire Waring for the bargain price of £2.99 normally £9.99. Usually 5/6 per store, through their eb@y shop @ £5.99 or £5.98 ( 2.99 + 2.99pp) The Works on line store.
We just bought 20+ for our beginners course, if out of stock ask manager if he can order one in.
Our local is very helpful, thank you David, picking up stock from the surrounding area's stores for us and also several in stock should we require more.

Russ

A BeeCraft subscription would be a splendid gift too!

R2

Welcome

May I suggest seek out local beekeeping association. No need to be a full member till have bees but should make some good contacts, equipment at auction and some hands on training as well, (hopefully!!).

Good luck.

:iagree:

Ted hooper is the beekeeper's bible, but may be a bit inaccessible from scratch- I would suggest reading 'Bees at the bottom of the garden' first, then Hooper.

But there is nothing like getting your gloves sticky and meeting some actual beekeepers, and your local association is the place for that. Many will have introductory courses coming up- if you google BBKA you can find local associations on there, or I'm sure someone on here will supply local information (where's HP when you want him?)

My votes goes to Ted Hoopers "Guide to Bees and Honey", I also have Clive De Bruyn "Practical Beekeeping" I do use both but find Ted Hoopers book an easier read.

Nothing like getting information from ones peers or from a practical demonstration, though there are a number of different trains of thought for every given situation.

Hooper and Bruyn are excellent books but I would not use them for a beginner starting out, they should be the second book (a few other goodies in that category as well like Brown). I would start out with Bees at the bottom of the garden by Alan Campion or one of the Waring books. I find the manuals / bibles like Hoopers great but you need a little more knowledge first to get going. You need to start out nice and simple without scaring off some.

would second what luckydunny says quite daunting opening up your for the first time on your own would thoroughley recomend bee course before you get the bees get used to handleing them so you are calm and relaxed because they can sense it if not again recomend mr hoopers bible and hope you like being a beekeeper but watch out because it becomes adictive which is great (just ask anyone on this forum)and good luck for the future

Ted Hooper, of course, but, having said that, I reread Pam Gregory's book and found it fitted with a lot of how I work with bees - nice and pithy when needed, sensible and clear, which is what I probably could have done with when I started. Have to declare an interest though as I knew Pam as our local beekeeper when growing up in rural mid Wales, before she went on to fame and (not!) fortune. A nice person and a real character who has managed to let a little personality escape from under the radar of that particular book format

Everybody has their favourites for any guide book category. There is no perfect choice for all, much depends on the level of knowledge already assumed. There is also quite a wide spread of styles: from the discursive text, though the bullet points to the picture book. Much of the usefulness is connected with familiarity, that is: if you know the order of topics in your first book, you keep returning to it to look up specific points. Of those with a contrast in approach that I have seen passed around the local bka:

Ted Hooper is the classic, plus points are that everyone knows of it, lot of information and good section on forage plants. It's also under a tenner from online book retailers. Minus points include that it is dated. There are additions, including the pests section but much of the text has been unchanged since the 1970s and the style of manuals has moved on. From a book design point of view, the page layout is in large slabs of text which makes it hard to skim when looking for something specific.

David Cramp is a more recent book (2010). Plus is that it has been written from scratch with a more modern layout, white space, sub headings, tables, bullet point lists. It does have a more international flavour, Spain, and New Zealand as well as the UK from the author's own experience. Minus points may be that it is less comprehensive than others; it tends to concentrate on mainstream practice now rather than historical variants. Includes technical detail not seen elsewhere such as rates of HMF formation at different temperatures and it sources the data. Also around a tenner online.

The Haynes manual by Claire and Adrian Waring is also recent and more visual still. More illustrations and diagrams than any other manual. Minus points include less technical detail, the larger format is harder to carry around and it costs more, around 14 quid online.

This is purely a personal take based on the way text books have evolved in other subjects. One point to bear in mind is that a decent book to get you started is amazingly good value compared with what most will spend on a hive (150?), a nucleus of bees (50-150?), feeders, suits and all the other kit. A book costs less than a stainless hive tool and if you really don't like it you can always use it to light your smoker.:)

If you've a "The Works" near you they are currently selling 'Keeping Bees' by Pam Gregory and Claire Waring for the bargain price of £2.99 normally £9.99. Usually 5/6 per store, through their eb@y shop @ £5.99 or £5.98 ( 2.99 + 2.99pp) The Works on line store.
We just bought 20+ for our beginners course, if out of stock ask manager if he can order one in.
Our local is very helpful, thank you David, picking up stock from the surrounding area's stores for us and also several in stock should we require more.

Russ

Thanks just got the Newport store to put a copy away for me to pick up today, at £2.99 might as well have a read :D

Latest posts

Back