God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you @Goran
I'm going to have a go at this on a small scale. Over a fire in the garden, maybe?
Many make such stove of thick metal barrels, just put legs and cut holes. They measure to buy appropriate pot.
With open flame, I think won't be as good. Such stove and pot we use for making marmalade, pork fat/ pork cracklings, to boil some type of sausages, to cook tomatoes ( recently we did that also).
Forgot, it has to be stirred all the time to don't get burned with large wooden stirer.
Stirer is L shaped with long handle so to don't stand next to pot cause it is boiling and can get burned.

Last edited:
I can cook a small amount over the gas stove.
I thought of burning the skins off over the fire to give it a bit of a smokey taste.

I can cook a small amount over the gas stove.
I thought of burning the skins off over the fire to give it a bit of a smokey taste.
I asked my mum ( main chef for such things), she said some mak it that way, it has too strong flavor for her taste. But again, there is no bad ajvar recipe, everyone should make the way it fits that person's taste.
Next ones conical peppers we are waiting to get ripe and we roast on barbecue for the freezer..
Forgot, also we recently cooked beetroot for winter in this pot ( later sliced and put in jars)..

Last edited:
Long time ago I talked with few women which were working at one factory where is made ajvar - they both said rotten peppers were in the ajvar and they don't eat it. Since then I don't eat any from the shops ( even I go somewhere as a guest..). So they can advertise as loud as they can, I don't want put it in the mouth.. Like is said at my place ( I believe is the same at your): good word is heard far, but the bad one the farthest..

Anybody had any rain? We are gagging for it here. The ground is rock hard again

One slope we got tired of trimming grass.. So we planted pumpkin and in autumn sort it out.. Now we have our own " pumpkin hill". Only problem is when is pumpkin too big and roll down onto fence.. We have to figure it out how to slow them down.. So far I saw few bigger than a car wheel..

Attachments

• pumpkin hill 1.jpg
    pumpkin hill 1.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 1
  • pumpkin hill 2.jpg
    pumpkin hill 2.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 1
It was looking like a bumper crop of walnuts this year - but woke up this morning to find every single one gone. Grrrr.
Interesting the swallows departed overnight - but I don't think they're the culprits 😒

It was looking like a bumper crop of walnuts this year - but woke up this morning to find every single one gone. Grrrr.
Interesting the swallows departed overnight - but I don't think they're the culprits 😒
We are heading for a good crop but having the tree crown reduced in September so hoping they will be ready before then!

We seem to have a small crop of walnuts. Last year there were only about a dozen and the squirrels got to them first. Perhaps this year we might actually get some for ourselves.

James

Back