Gloves or no gloves?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wear whatever you are comfortable with. But if minimally dressed dont moan about getting stung.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Absolutely, but I do not see the need to wear gloves that can be stung through!

Either wear "protection" or don't. bee-smillie

We use Showa gardening gloves which are very fine and fit well and they are also breathable on the back. We then use the disposable close fitting gloves on top. You can feel everything very well but gives confidence if you are nervous. If I want to do very close work then I just remove the disposable gloves and keep the Showa's on. They come in a variety of sizes and colours so you can get one to fit all hands snugly. If you happen to be going to the Flower Show at Hampton Court they usually do "deals" on multiple pairs.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Absolutely, but I do not see the need to wear gloves that can be stung through!

Either wear "protection" or don't. bee-smillie

Hygiene between hives, don't fancy washing my hands in soda solution :eek:

:iagree:
Propolis is the devils own work to remove :)
VM

I have had to start wearing many layers everywhere, even on my hands. One sting and the area swells like a balloon and is painful for days.

Some peeps can get dermatitis from propolis . I suspect a solution of washing soda could possibly carry propolis deep into the skin? personally I don't mind getting my hands/tools clean with it :)
VM
Ps still got the bees here .left it too late this years (supers on all )

Ensuring sympathetic handling is (or should be) the aim of all of us, my only concern about the theme of this thread (i.e. minimum / no hand protection) is the 'un-expected'. We might understand the rules but you can't ensure the bees do. See a previous threads with regard multiple sting reactions and a previous thread where a (subsequently identified as queenless) hive on rape attacked me when I hadn't opened or manipulated their hive at all. There we hundreds of stings on gloves and fore arms and a few got through. By the time you had registered the situation and put your thicker protective gloves on it would have been too late to protect you.

There are times when you are planning to handle the queen or similar where 'feel' is essential, there are other times where maintaining protection should be the norm. I think having gloves that are both effective at protection and fit properly is important. How many times have you seen people in gloves that are wrong for them with spare leather hanging off the end of their fingers to get stuck under frames.

When it comes to PPE I think we should go back to basics, 'plan for the worst, hope for the best'. Sorry, from my own experiences I dont feel happy with the minimalist protection tone of this thread. A happy end to my story, the queenless bitches are now queen right and off the rape and little darlings again. Bee temperament can change faster than your gloves.

Definately agree. You never know what to expect when you first take the lid off. Better safe than sorry.

Some peeps can get dermatitis from propolis . I suspect a solution of washing soda could possibly carry propolis deep into the skin?

I see,expect if they suffer with this they also need to avoid things like soap,or clothes washed in soda.

Washing soda, (sodium carbonate) does not contain harmful detergents, chemicals or horrible invasive fragrances and is more friendly to your hands and the environment.
http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/recipes/washSoda.php

Originally Posted by Rosti

When it comes to PPE I think we should go back to basics, 'plan for the worst, hope for the best'. Sorry, from my own experiences I dont feel happy with the minimalist protection tone of this thread. A happy end to my story, the queenless bitches are now queen right and off the rape and little darlings again. Bee temperament can change faster than your gloves.
Definately agree. You never know what to expect when you first take the lid off. Better safe than

I find "At the Hive Entrance" and the weather a pretty good guide to what to expect..And of course if the bees are nasty, just close up, add gloves and try another hive..

Most times when I have prepared for the worst, it has not happened. When I don't and it does, it's usually a couple of stings... which is nothing. Even I can take that (I do take 8 hour Benadryl on really horrible days IF I Have to inspect.. which is very rare.

Do you wear a bee suit? They can easily sting through that as well.

My bee suit is heavy cotton-not gossamer silk!
Likewise, if I do wear gloves, I see no reason to opt for the most easily penetrated material available. :cool:

Latest posts

Back