Glass Crown Board to observe bees in winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite all the doommongers saying that ad-hoc availabilty of fondant makes them fill the combs with stores, I've found that a tub of about half a kilo of fondant, above the crownboard and well insulated, is taken down in a contriolled way over several weeks now the weather has cooled down. So that tallies with your observations above.
Just more unnecessary faffing about then?

Yes, you can do this, it's fine.
You might need to put a half inch eke below the CB to accommodate a full bag of fondant in the limited space? At least that is what always I do if adding fondant in bags. Normally though I just slap a lump on without any plastic bag stuff on top of the where the cluster is and they take it down as they need it with no trouble at all. Simples - bees best know what to do best.

Why didn't you just use a queen excluder to place the fondant on? 🤔
I did try that but found that the bees stuck it down really well. I found that the tray bottoms were left very free of brace comb and easy to take off. As regards the comb round the edge I will make sure that the mesh fills the space all over the frames this year as on one hive where I did that last year there was no comb built outside the fondant rim.

Just more unnecessary faffing about then?

Isn't that what proper beekeeping is all about? ;)

No, what I'm saying is an observation rather than an instruction or a procedure that I follow. I placed the last bit of fondant above the crownboards at the end of October. I've seen some colonies devour it and then retreat back inside. Even today, a couple of them are still nibbling on the small bit left. One colony appears to have abandoned it for the present. I won't automatically be replenishing any of it.

Despite apparently being one of the 50% of the below average part of the population, I do understand that fondant directly above the bees is more likely to be used. I also think that in some circumstances, fondant above the crownboard and well insulated may get taken down in a way which sustains the colony but doesn't clog the combs.

@Beebe
Would you change this please

Yes.....I have done so. And since you made the request publicly, perhaps you will permit me to put in context by saying that it was intended as a lighthearted reaction to a suggestion by one of the resident experts at responding to peoples' comments in a derisive tone, that I was making "cheap shots"; a post in which you have allowed him to edit that inflammatory comment.
You are aware that I change that custom title with great regularity...I'm sure you remember, I was the "Snowflake".

Yes.....I have done so. And since you made the request publicly, perhaps you will permit me to put in context by saying that it was intended as a lighthearted reaction to a suggestion by one of the resident experts at responding to peoples' comments in a derisive tone, that I was making "cheap shots"; a post in which you have allowed him to edit that inflammatory comment.
You are aware that I change that custom title with great regularity...I'm sure you remember, I was the "Snowflake".
I made it publicly as quite a few people don’t bother reading their PMs. Whatever your meaning the connotation was clear nevertheless, albeit unintentionally.
The post you refer to was edited by me

Your to young to be a snowflake;):giggle::icon_204-2:

I’ve just built 2 of the reversible polycarbonate feeders detailed on this site. They are nice and toasty. I used 6mm poly and there’s no condensation inside even on a frosty morning.
75mm celotex cut to fit inside with 25mm to top cover.

They look very effective.

Latest posts

Back