Giordan extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drex

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Stainless steel 8 frame manual.

I have seen these advertised at £349 ( inc VAT) + delivery. It seems a good price for what you get. The stockist is also fairly local so could arrange pick up.

Does anybody have experience of this type of extractor, and any feedback?

Know of comparable deals?

Link to stockist:

http://www.agri-nova.co.uk/pages/giordan_products.html

Thanks

my dad got me one for my honey, i haven't had much experince with extractors, beacuse i've only been keeping bees a couple of years, but compared to a plasic one i used - i think this one is fantastic. when me and my dad looked at some we thought it was as good quilty, as some of the others, and a bit better workman-ship. it's the best i've ever had, and it will keep for a long time.

I have an 8 framer which takes a drill as the motor.
Agro Nova delivered it so no need to collect.

Is it OK? Yes.

The instructions for assembling the legs wer in italian I recall but no problem at all.

So do I go for manual or the drill drive one? It is only an extra £10, but does anyone know of the type of drill needed to drive it? -As I assume that is not supplied.

Pros and cons of both please?

I have an old Bosch drill - varispeed. It fits to the extractor around the collar where the removable handle goes. Anything that acts as friction within the extractor (like honey in the bottom) will slow the drill and make it overheat and smell (!!).

Just to let you know the email and number on the website are both wrong - if you need to contact then chaps name is Clive Newitt, [email protected] , phone 01799 543901

The 8 frame radial including a multispeed drill is £340 + delivery (approx £35). Its £300 without the drill, Manual with handle is £350, and with full electric drive £600. Includes frames for tangental brood frame extraction as well.

I know he's off to Italy next week and will be placing an order while he's out there.

I 'electrificated' my manual 9 frame radial this year. Well worth even a cheap drill to try it. They must recommend a minimum power requirement and it looks like the speed adjustment is from the electrical/electronic supplied box, so soft start may not be needed. Speed control may be rpm of spinner (not direct drill speed) so a drill with the right speed chuck may be required.

It is certainly worth looking at for just a tenner more, plus a drill which you may have already, or could get off epay or a car boot sale or your local retailers.

The comment of leaving too much honey and causing drag may be very relevant - unless you have a torque limiting drill (not so much extra over the standard items), or the controller takes care of such mishaps.

Regards, RAB

RAB - I think he took the decision to supply drills to his own spec to remove the chance of an incorrect type being chosen. Not even £10 more (prices on website are out due to Euro fluctuation I think), but £10 less with the drill supplied - can only assume the additional mechanism required for the handle costs more to produce.

Seems like its worth a punt to me - if I remember I'll report back in the spring.

the additional mechanism required for the handle costs more to produce

Looks even better to me, then! The normal electrificating motor is usually only around 80 Watts so that should not present too much of a problem.

Lega (Italian) handle drive is listed at 29 Euros, presumably VAT paid - but not sure - but delivery extra. Th*rne are selling just the handle for around 23 quid! before delivery.

What's more, I think I like the even number of frames - no experience to be sure - but seems it might be easier than a 9 frame for balancing.

I would definitely be going to look if they were local to me and I needed one. I bought mine so long ago that prices then are not appliccable to today's market. I have nothing against the plastic ones - cheap and excellent value for some - but if tangential screens can be used for standard, or even jumbo frames, these look attactive, very attractive.

Regards, RAB

Full contact details.

7 Belmont Hill, Newport, Saffron Walden, Essex CB11 3RF

Tel: +44 (0)1799 542254 or 543901

Fax: +44 (0) 1799 543900

Mob: +44 (0)7974 304219

E: [email protected]

W: www.agri-nova.biz

They have recently moved, and I had difficulty in establishing contact. Clive seems really helpful.

I would definitely be going to look if they were local to me and I needed one. I bought mine so long ago that prices then are not appliccable to today's market. I have nothing against the plastic ones - cheap and excellent value for some - but if tangential screens can be used for standard, or even jumbo frames, these look attactive, very attractive.

Regards, RAB

Not sure what end of Lincs you in, but you more than welcome to have a look at mine when it arrives, expected late November. PM if interested

Monsieur Abeille,

Thanks for the offer. Might take it up sometime. I am about 35 miles from Newark but we often use the short route past - the A1 - on the way to my daughter in Worksop or J's daughter in Scotland!

But, as I said, I have a Lega 9 framer about ten years old and it's almost as good as new. 'Electrificated' just this season (with the geared drive I picked up on a scrap plastic/galvanised extractor, last year) when the plastic drive pinion failed during the early OSR extraction; it rather forced me into the modifications needed.

I had been looking for a suitable electric drive for some time - they are so much easier!

I can remember 'sweating' while cranking even late at night. Hard work compared with the electric! I was just not prepared to pay Th*rne prices for the electric conversion, so I had to bide my time. A manual is OK for a single super or maybe two, but when there are several loads to put through it the power drive is certainly appreciated.

Regards, RAB

(pm coming as well)

Stainless steel 8 frame manual.

I have seen these advertised at £349 ( inc VAT) + delivery. It seems a good price for what you get. The stockist is also fairly local so could arrange pick up.

Does anybody have experience of this type of extractor, and any feedback?

Know of comparable deals?

Link to stockist:

http://www.agri-nova.co.uk/pages/giordan_products.html

Thanks

Saw this and wondered if it was any good. They're only based in Saffron Walden so not too far for me.

Anyone seen or used one?

Have just spoken with Clive and placed an order. He was very helpful and talked himslef out of a sale of fully motorised advising that the drill drive was good enough for my quantity ( I was after that one anyway). As M. Abeille has posted above, the drill drive ( including drill) is actually £10 cheaper than the manual.

He said he is off to Italy next week, and expects prices to increase in 2011 as cost of stainless steel is on the increase.

I asked about picking it up, and he said he is often in my area and could drop it in himself . 3-4 week lag time between placing order and him getting it in.

Nice Bloke

Latest posts

Back