Giordan drill driven extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drex

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
For the last 10 years I have been very happy with this extractor. The only downside is having to keep pressure on the drill trigger while spinning.
If I clamped the trigger to full on and plugged the drill into an electronic speed controller would this work, so I could gradually increase speed without having to hold the trigger?
I know little about electronics

Or perhaps a domestic dimmer switch? As I've previously stated I'm no expert, infact I'm not even a rank amateur. Hopefully one of the jedi's will be along soon to help you.

Ps: As you would imagine, there's a story behind my post ......... for another day tho

For the last 10 years I have been very happy with this extractor. The only downside is having to keep pressure on the drill trigger while spinning.
If I clamped the trigger to full on and plugged the drill into an electronic speed controller would this work, so I could gradually increase speed without having to hold the trigger?
With 16 hives that's a lot of spinning. I can envisage you needing an orthopaedic opinion for trigger finger........;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_finger

Just for that I might have to start a new topic about my latest medical adventure :)

James
Don't start me off!!! Throat cancer.. radio therapy then major surgery :oops:, Quad bypass, 2opps on water works, 2 opps for skin cancer, and ingrowing toe nail removed.:rolleyes:

You might be able to find an old drill on eBay that you could modify and bypass the trigger switch. Or a friend used an old washing machine motor to power his then manual extractor, although not of the type you have. It just used a wooden frame to hold the motor above the spindle, but I've got no idea how he connected the two.

You need some sort of high torque motor as it takes a lot of oomph to spin up a fully loaded extractor basket of frames.

Thanks blackcloud. I have looked at that online already. I guess it would work at speed control of drill, but was not sure. Was hoping for advice from electric wizard. Will probably get it anyway.

Latest posts

Back