getting ready for winter questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any glue recommendations for celotex to crown board or roof? Wood glue trial has failed, have seen silicon sealant suggested.

gobbet of silicone sealant in the middle of the sheet - or some of that stuff you get in the builder's merchant called sticks like sh!T :D

Any glue recommendations for celotex to crown board or roof? Wood glue trial has failed, have seen silicon sealant suggested.

I use PU glue.

Does everyone insulate their hives for winter? I've never done it and not had a problem. I thought the bees were capable of regulating their own temperature.
Bees can, and do, regulate their own environment's temperature, but it can take a lot of effort and use a lot of energy (food stores) so there's nothing wrong with giving them a helping hand by either using poly hives or adding some top insulation to a wooden hive.

I protect my hives from green woodpeckers by draping sheets of strawberry netting over clusters of 4 or 5 hives weighed down by house bricks.
I think it's worth pointing out that fine strawberry netting needs to be pulled taut otherwise birds can get caught in it - robins, blue tits and great tits often eat bees.

We use the netlon-type netting, the semi-rigid stuff with holes about an inch across. Ends held together with plant ties and kept in place by a couple of garden canes.

Been using strawberry netting to protect my hives from green woodpeckers for over 30 years and never had a bird of any sort get caught in it. I have tried other methods but they are not practical when you have more than 3 or 4 few hives.

Can't remember where it was reported, but recall a green woodpecker getting caught in an anti-w/p net over a hive. I know, "it's only one (reported) bird," and "I'd do anything to protect my bees", but I don't suppose it died well...

that wasn't intended as a intended as a dig at you, mBK - glad you haven't had any casualties - but it is something to be aware of when netting hives.

I have read about people using strips of old feed sacks etc attached over the hive as a deterrent. I appreciate that it's probably for the few hive owner and don't even know about the efficacy! - one case of woodpecker damage in far too many years means that I've never felt the need - but wonder if it's a possible alternative to net.

oops, behindhand as always...

Last edited:
Been using strawberry netting to protect my hives from green woodpeckers for over 30 years and never had a bird of any sort get caught in it. I have tried other methods but they are not practical when you have more than 3 or 4 few hives.

Because you set it up properly, and birds don't get caught in it or beneath it. :)

I've seen dead birds in fine netting that hasn't been pulled taut, and then kept taut for the whole time it's in place, and I've seen birds that have died inside a fruit cage because they've been able to wriggle their way in, and then not find the way out. It's a ghastly thing to see, hence the warning, and why I use more rigid stuff.

Polyurethane glue PU. You may glue glass (aquariums) with silicone but not moist wood.

Is there any benefit to removing an entrance block and replacing it with a mouse guard for winter...?

Is there any benefit to removing an entrance block and replacing it with a mouse guard for winter...?

depends on the size of the entrance in the block - if it is only a beespace high then you shouldn't need a mouse guard, if you are using a mouse guard you want as wide an entrance as possible in case some of the slots get blocked with dead bees, so remove the block

During this coming winter I want to move one of my hives a distance of about 50 yards / metres. I know of the 3 mile rule, but not sure that this applies in winter when they're clustered?

depends on the size of the entrance in the block - if it is only a beespace high then you shouldn't need a mouse guard, if you are using a mouse guard you want as wide an entrance as possible in case some of the slots get blocked with dead bees, so remove the block

Thanks, my 1 bee space block is still in and I was going to replace it with a mouse guard but then wondered whether there was any point in doing that.

Latest posts

Back