Getting my first bees!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i got my nuc i put it straight into a full hive it took ages, months for them to draw all the frames listen to rab he gives good sound advice

Nice Apiary, I see you have gone for the gable roof, make sure you take a wooden box with you when you have supers on so you can place them on ;)

welcome to the beekeeping fraternity.dai.

Cheers guys. Thought I would also share with you my stock pile of smoker fuel, might last a while ;)

0c9e27c9.jpg

Dried woodchip (willow) stored in our sheds for a local biomass company. Lights easily and smokes like fook!

09c4d53f.jpg

Just to update, I collected my bees this evening and half way home they started escaping in the car :eek: Thanks to those on this forum who recommended to bring spare duck tape, as this quickly sealed the hole and prevented any further escapees. Luckily it was only a handful getting out and I spotted it quickly but it just goes to show what can happen. The guy from our BKA had used a drawing pin to close the entrance guard but it was not pushed in fully and the guard seemed to have moved a few mm and was just enough to allow the bees to get out.

Close call!! :willy_nilly:

All tucked up now though at their new home, can't wait to see them flying around and orientating themselves tomorrow :)

Well done, Rob55!

I've found the first few weeks exhilarating, scary, fascinating and frustrating.

Hope you do too! Better than vegetating.

Enjoy tomorrow. Hope the weather is kind to you and your girls.

Dusty.

good luck with your new arivals, i look forward to hearing how you get on, as i hope to get my first colany very soon. :)

bee-smillielovely pics wishing you and your new girls the best of luck:seeya:

remember any worries just post on here,a lot of cumalative knowledge on here and more than one answer help you find your way of doing things,good luck and enjoy

Guys it is only about 9-10 deg outside today and not forecast to warm up much for the next few days, I presume I would be best to leave them well alone in the nuc and wait until it warms up before transferring into the main hive?

I am told the nuc is pretty full so I don't want them getting the swarming instinct..!

As long as it's not raining and you can get the job done quick not to chill the brood it should be fine, make sure the queen goes in

Latest posts

Back