Getting Equipment Ready for the next season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rae

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 and 3 nucs...it's swarm time...
I'm currently sorting though the spare kit, fixing the bits of woodpecker damage and giving the outsides of the parts a quick wipe with linseed oil.

In doing this, I've discovered a few problems with frames (super and brood) that have overwintered.

1) A lot of the frames are quite mouldy, especially brood frames. I assume that the bees will clean them up before using them, and I shouldn't worry?

2) Some of the frames had small amounts of uncapped stores, and there is a fair whiff of fermentation. I have shaken out all of the liquid, but will the bees be OK with these, or do they need a more thorough clean?

I'm currently sorting though the spare kit, fixing the bits of woodpecker damage and giving the outsides of the parts a quick wipe with linseed oil.

In doing this, I've discovered a few problems with frames (super and brood) that have overwintered.

1) A lot of the frames are quite mouldy, especially brood frames. I assume that the bees will clean them up before using them, and I shouldn't worry?

2) Some of the frames had small amounts of uncapped stores, and there is a fair whiff of fermentation. I have shaken out all of the liquid, but will the bees be OK with these, or do they need a more thorough clean?

If you can catch one, dump a prime swarm in to a box with your mouldy/slightly uncapped frames......they'll clean them up a treat.

Back