Getting ducks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noise is not an issue as we don't live near anyone else and their house is placed over a running steam so either is the mucking, its just the herding them into and out of the house thats tough but then we only have them a week so it will probably take them a awhile to get settled in.

Darren

don't know if it would work with ducks, but I trained my chickens with tiny amounts of cooked, minced, beef.

I started giving it to them in the winter when the ground was frozen and they couldn't scratch - my "logic" suggested it was equivalent to concentrated worms. It was, by complete fluke, a brilliant way to get the chooks home. Now I go down, rattling anything in a plastic container and they come running and flapping. In fact, even an empty container works - when they hear the lid being ripped off, they don't want to risk missing out!!

yes, I'd go for the pavlov training, make the same noise every time you give them a treat, and always serve it near the duck house. Then they'll get used to making their way to the duckhouse when they hear that noise.

Again, my experience with chickens, can't imagine ducks being different, as all birds are fairly bright when it comes to food associations.
Mine know that three repeated taps of any noise, knife on plate, fingers on box, means a treat.

I have been working for the last couple of days on an organic farm and they have call ducks which followed me virtually all the time I was there! Absolutely fantastic little birds and if the 'going to bed' could be sorted I for one would have some
S

We have the going to bed sorted now, they go with a little herding and some nights even on there own,
When we call them they come running to the back door and the cat plays with them too, all in all it has worked out very well.

Darren

Latest posts

Back