Getting clean, empty comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angularity

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I want to return the frames one of my new colonies came in as clean, empty comb. Is there any way to get the bees to do that? I assume that if I put them above the QE then there will be no more brood in them, but aren't bees likely to fill it up with stores?

Bees love old dark combs. They clean them as needed. You cannot do anything for that.

In natural hives they use old and new combs during season. Cluster is up in spring, and then comes down along combs.

You have to make the bees think they are robbing it so put a feeder board on which is a crown board with a small hole, then an empty super, or not, some do and some don't, then the frames. The bees will clean them out in24 hours. Don't leave them longer than you need. They will still look like old brood comb though. They will only remove honey, not pollen or brood
E

Last edited:
When you say return the combs do you mean give back drawn combs to the person who gave you the colony? If so, be careful as it's not recommended or hygienic. Give the donor made up new or sterilised frames and a pack of foundation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Putting the frames well below the brood area will encourage the bees to move all stores upwards. This would be after all brood has emerged. Might still be some cells not emptied - dead brood, pollen per eg.

If you really want clean empty comb, use new foundation in new frames, as a super in a strong flow. Extract the honey and voila.

Latest posts

Back