Getting a head start in 2015?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I'm just starting out and currently attending beginners course with practical course booked for next May. I wanted to start keeping bees this year but was strongly advised to learn and experience first! I'm desperate to crack on and concerned that ordering a Nuc now for next season might mean I don't really get started until Late May or June - probably to late to enjoy a harvest in 2015?

Is there a way of getting started sooner in the season? Our Apiary is in woodland with plenty of Spring flowering trees.

As well as your beginners course, I would suggest finding a mentor and working alongside them for a time as the practical experience will give you knowledge and more importantly, an awareness of the bees that a book or course cannot do. You will also build up a relationship with another beekeeper who will be able to give you a little support when things really get going in the beekeeping season (and vice versa).

A nucleus colony of honeybees will generally build up rapidly, particularly in the presence of a goodly supply of pollen and nectar. This build up often surprises people working with bees for the first time. Such a colony will have a lot of work to do to allow you to take off some surplus honey: they will have perhaps 6 brood frames to draw out and frames in your super(s) to draw out also. They have bees to raise and pollen and nectar to gather. That is a lot of work but it is work that the bees want to do and I would anticipate that any Nuc I sold in May would be capable of giving a honey crop - weather permitting.
You could purchase an overwintered colony or Nuc. These might be ready a little earlier in the Season but there is a question that you really need to consider. Would you be ready to get started earlier in the season?
I jumped in at the deep end with honeybees, getting a colony before I attended any course BUT my introduction to beekeeping was working with over a dozen other colonies (swiftly increasing to over 20).

Join your local association(s).
Offer your labour to assist any friendly/knowledgable/tolerant/local beek you encounter. And you should get some 'practical' earlier than May.

My standard advice is to encounter bees for real, close up, before spending any money! Associations can help with this, but you'll have to hurry as the season is now coming to the end and bees are being closed up for the winter.

Join your local association(s).
Offer your labour to assist any friendly/knowledgable/tolerant/local beek you encounter. And you should get some 'practical' earlier than May.

My standard advice is to encounter bees for real, close up, before spending any money! Associations can help with this, but you'll have to hurry as the season is now coming to the end and bees are being closed up for the winter.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Lots of beginners give up after 1-2 years: for any number of reasons including:
stings
it's hard work.
it requires weekly work EVERY week in season
they get bored
they don't like lifting
they don't like thinking.. (beekeepers have to think).
the expense is too much.

Is there a way of getting started sooner in the season? Our Apiary is in woodland with plenty of Spring flowering trees.

Buy an overwintered NUC, I was selling these at the end of March this year.
Dunno where you are in Norfolk but someone will have some, you pay a bit more and you will have a big hive full of bees by May and probably a honey crop if the weather is reasonable. Dont pay silly money though.
However you wont be ready for them without any hands on experience and your practical is not till May.
You can get hands on experience before then by finding a local beekeeper and helping him through March and April, your NUC supplier may even be able to offer this, they should certainly offer some back up help and advice if you find the right one.
Good luck

Just to say that:

I did a course in June, then went to my association evenings till the end of Sept.

Ordered a Nuc from a reliable source.

I read a lot and surfed this Forum, eventually deciding on how I wanted to start (e.g. 14 x 12 brood boxes) and bought/made up the stuff.

Got my nuc mid-May.

Took a huge harvest off, 15 weeks later.

So, no need to be impatient. I'm glad it happened this way.
I felt as prepared as I could be. It worked out well.

Dusty

Hi, I'm just starting out and currently attending beginners course with practical course booked for next May. I wanted to start keeping bees this year but was strongly advised to learn and experience first! I'm desperate to crack on and concerned that ordering a Nuc now for next season might mean I don't really get started until Late May or June - probably to late to enjoy a harvest in 2015?

You won't get a spring crop but not every one does but if you manage your nuc properly you will certainly get a summer or autumn harvest.

Last edited:
You sound well prepared
Beekeeping isn't rocket science.
Order a nuc preferably local and overwintered
Get on some brood diseases courses.
You probably wont get much honey if any.
You will get stung
If you get practice first you will get stung less :)

In my experience nucs can take several weeks to build up strength. I assume you will transfer them to a full-size brood box so before they can store surplus honey they need to draw out comb from a sheets of foundation in the brood box and super. This is labour and energy (nectar) intensive with only a small work force. I would advise you to feed 'thin' (1 lb sugar to 1 pint of water) to the colony, regardless of any local bee pasture, until the colony has doubled or trebled in size.

if the winter is not too severe there may be surplus of full colonies next year.

2nd, set your sights low, i.e maybe one frame of honey for 2015 or a good tablespoon.

Study this winter about what you can do to make that colony successful from the start

There will be lots to understand and whatever you do, be sceptical. In amongst the books and advice there will be a lot of unproven dross and false associations.
The relations of insulation, humidity, and ventilation are a prime example.

I haven't logged in for a while and am flattered by all the wonderful advice from this forum. Thank you. It seems the consensus is to be patient. Despite having got excited by recent advertisements from retiring keepers selling hives, bees and gear (potential problems all round) we will wait and get more PRACTICAL experience first before starting with a couple of local overwintered Nuc's.

We attended a couple of hive openings during the summer (as spectators) and will complete our 8 week 'intro to beekeeping course' this evening. We're booked on a practical course next May (Easton College) but love the idea of finding a local mentor who we can learn from and assist before then. Lots of people have mentioned how quickly a colony can grow in the Spring which can be a handful for a newbee like me and we don't want to annoy our charges with clumsy handling.

We've joined Norfolk BKA and their membership includes 4 within a mile or two so I'm getting in touch with them in the hope they're receptive to letting us learn from them.

Roll on Spring 2015 !

This year our association set up an apiary where beginners who finished their course could go to practise,worked verry well and a lot of fun was had by all ,great addition to any association and now self financing
martin

I echo the above, also if its your own wood you could spend some time setting up your site make good strong hive stands etc that will get you into the swing of things, anyway good luck for the future.

Get in touch with the local bee association. There are a few in Norfolk. Google Bee associations in Norfolk for the contact details of the nearest. I can certainly recommend the Kings Lynn and West Norfolk Branch.

I am back into bees after a few years, I bought my Nuc late in the season but had a full super of honey and one I left for the bees.

You will also find buying bees from a member of the association is the best way to start as you will not be STUNG for price. You may also get them installed into your hive, and some helpful advise.

Mike

This time last year i was in the same position as you. I had done a short course and was advised to join the local club which i did ,then in the spring i offered to help at the club apiary which was brilliant as i learnt so much. I also did a couple of evening courses which helped.I had a hive ready but had no bees ordered but in late April a swarm landed in the park where i worked and i managed to put them in the hive.hive. Didn't expect any honey this year but to my surprise my bees gave me 20 pounds of honey.
I hope your first year gives you as much enjoyment as mine has.
Good luck.

Doing the practical part of a beekeeping course is the most important of any course, you can have all the qualifications under the sun but it can't teach you how to handle bees

Before buying anything - get a sting or two to see how your body reacts. That way if you have any major problems with bee stings you haven't shelved out a lot of money unnecessarily.

Join the local bee association. There are 2 in Norfolk, Kings Lynn and West Norfolk, and Norfolk Beekeepers Assoc. Google them for contact details. I am back into bees after some years and bought a nuc from a member of the Association late in the season and I had a small crop of honey at the end of the season.

I would buy the bees from an association member who may have an overwintered Nuc for sale. You will not be ripped off if you buy from a member and I am sure you will be given advice and help in establishing a nuc in your hive.

Best of luck.

Mike

In post 11 above they say they have joined Norfolk association and finished the class room course and have booked onto the practical in May

Latest posts

Back