Get Yourself An Epipen.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had had a similar reaction to a sting when stung close to my eye and was told in no uncertain terms by 'the better half' to go to the doctors as I could hardly see out of one eye.
The doctor advised me that the swelling would naturally go down and asked if I really wanted to carry on keeping bees (daft question).
I said that i did and he said that my reactions to stings are likely to go one of two ways:
1. I would build up an immunity but should be careful not to get too many stings at once.
2. I would have a very bad reaction and anaphylactic shock.

He then gave me a prescription for an Epipen which I carry with me at all times and not only when I am with the bees.
Glad to hear facial swelling has gone down, its bxxxy uncomfortable isn’t it?

I was given just a single pen. It might be an idea to ask the pharmacist they are normally very good?

Now he could be winding me up but on a separate note a friend of mine went to Stoneleigh this year and said he was surprised at how many bee keepers only had one eye, the other lost through a bee sting!
From Beedons:-

Quick question - When I was given my prescription by the A & E doctor, it clearly said 3 x 15mg doses of Epipen. I've just collected this from the pharmacist (everyone was staring at me :puke:), and I have been given 3 separate Epipens of 15mg dose which the pharmacist said were junior doses.


They come in 0.15mg and 0.3 mg sizes, adult dose is 0.3mg. 0.15mg is for a child up to 30 Kg in weight
I recently heard of a lady beekeeper that got stung, had a reaction and when she was administering the epipen she hit the seam of her jeans with the needle and broke it. I dunno if she died or survived but i'd say if she did survive that she'll not do that again in a hurry.
I totally agree with garethbryson! I've recently developed an allergy to bee stings after beekeeping for a year and several stings. Had a near miss earlier this week and found myself in A&E via ambulance. Hello Epipen and goodbye bees! Better safe than sorry.

p.s. If you want to buy my bees check out my thread on 'bees wanted/for sale' section of this site.
Just come across this thread.
My wife had an anaphylactic reaction from a bee sting last year and was treated by paramedics at home with ventolin inhalation.
She was assessed early this year at the Manchester allergy clinic and confirmed to have type 1 allergy to bee stings- had a patch test on arm with pin pricks followed by a blood test.
She started the desensitisation course in March 2010 starting with 1:10000 of a bee sting and doubling the dose every week for 13 weeks by which time you are up to a full bee sting. Treatment then is extended to every 2,3 4 weeks with a full sting. Then after year you get top ups for 3 years.
She has passed the stage of a full sting with only localised redness and minor itchiness for 1-2 days on the upper arm. The reaction she gets to the full sting is much less than the reaction to the 1:10000 at the start of the course. She feels much more comfortable going into the garden now but hasn't joined me for an inspection yet. She is still expected to carry the epipens.
The question is how will she react when she gets a 'real' bee sting? We wont know until or if that happens.
I would recommend others to get desensitised
Well, I'm with the OP on this. I know reactions are rare but I'm 50 minutes from the nearest hospital and have 2 kids. I'd rather have the epipen and be forced with a decision on whether to use it than not have one and have no choice.
I would recommend others to get desensitised

I get desensitised each week on my inspections with just a couple of stings. I have notice3d over the season that my reaction to the stings has deminished considerably. I still carry an epipen though as my doc told me I could get a reaction to a sting at any point.

By the way, where did you manage to get your wife ....most and with reason would just say 'get rid of the bees' ?:)
By the way, where did you manage to get your wife ....most and with reason would just say 'get rid of the bees'
Fortunately for me she is as passionate about the bees as I am. So I just guess I'm lucky.
I have taken up beekeping this year, i heve taken the preliminary course, made a hive and expect my first nuke next month. Three weeks ago I was in my doctors with my six month old daughter getting her imunisations. While waiting in the corridor my GP walked past and i stopped her and asked if i could get a precription for an epipen, she ask why and i told her about the beekeeping. She then told me that they only prescribe them to people with alergy's. My reply to that was " I dont know if i have an alergy but i dont fancy lying suffocating waiting for an ambulance if i find out i do have an alergy" She then thought i had a good point and gave me the prescription straight away and i now have it in my fridge waiting. So I would advised you all to do the same and maybe we could avoid Finding ourselves in a very nasty situation.
Saw my Doctor today, who was only too happy to arrange a blood test to check if I am allergic to wasp/bee stings; as I reacted badly when young. Is so - an Epipen...if not...none. Simple to do though

Latest posts