Get Together 2010 - May 8th : Midlands/West/Central

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around about here

Hempsted Meadows, Gloucester.

Can somebody give me the post code of the place so I can find it.

Many thanks for the feedback Somerford.

Veg,
The question is, do you have enough navigational input now? You were bemoaning the lack of a postcode for the purposes of locating the whereabouts of the venue. A simple, yes or no will suffice if you are bit busy. :)

The tradition is, ask question, receive advice, give feedback. I feel that we are still running an open loop, although Somerford was kind enough to confirm my estimation.

no

If you look at it on google maps it also places a bus stop in the middle of that ploughed field.
I cant be doing with tradition either.:cheers2:

Last edited:
To answer your question directly, as you apparently wish

GL2 5LE

To within 150 metres. Even a cruise missile could get there with that degree of accuracy.

I remember too well the advice solicited about motors for extractors, how it was orchestrated and the eventual outcome. Occupational therapy by proxy.

Just to update - the exact location is on the new Hempstead road on the site of the weekly car boot sale - on the LHS if coming from the North (11/11a) after the turning to the new Sainsburys/Outlet Village. If coming from the South (Quedgely/South M5 J12 head towards Hemstead/Outlet Village/Ross and it will be on the RHS

regards

S

And we have a rare weekend off and are off in the opposite direction so breath a sigh of relief....LOL

PH

if everyone doesn't go, there will be less people for me to bid against! :hat:

:(Ive got a wedding to go to so I cant come, shame as I am still after some bees (due to the queen going on strike)

Sorry that I can't make it. I have to drive to Cambridge and back on Friday and then again on Sunday just to have my kids for the weekend (a bi-weekly pleasure and a 7 hour round trip!).

Some feedback about the auction from someone either late on Saturday or Sunday would make interesting reading!

WPC

I am still planning to go, and taking an old wbc to make some more room in the garage- it could make a nice garden feature?

the auction of equipment starts at 12noon and the sale of bees at 3pm- just so we don't miss each other (i'm not planning to wear a homemade beekeeping forum t-shirt afterall!) shall we try and meet and say hello etc about 11.30am near the nucs/ live bees- they are usually a little distance from the equipment, I might take my veil like I did last year to watch them being inspected before the sale.

Chris

Do you know when the inspections happen?

I'm still hoping to get there and will look out for forum members.

FG

From memory I think it was about 11am last year- a good bit before the sale of equipment starts, if theres a lot of nucs it takes them a while to go through them all.

Chris

it was all a bit damp there today with a chilly wind.... I was suprised they did the inspections in the open.

What sort of prices did the nucs go for and were there many for sale?

There were ~ 15 nucs for sale. The first one was sold for £190.00. Ridiculous money, considering there was a bee farmer (Andrew Till) on a stand taking orders for delivery end of May @ £125. So I went home then - don't know what the rest went for.

there were a couple of nucs that went for about £150, but most about £130.

.... i think the bees would have needed a good rub off with a towel!

This was my first auction and was quite amused by the affair. I picked up a couple of (what I thought were) bargains, but things were being sold for good prices that if they were mine would have put on the bonfire.

in some cases it could have been worth popping round the corner to maisemore and put things bought in the auction to make a profit!

I couldn't agree more. One nuc went for £190, and one chap bought approx 80kg of wax for £190 !!

Lots of rotten supers, bundles of old brood frames etc.

When I last went to this auction, old frames, any complete frames (ie drawn wax) etc weren't allowed to be sold so I was surprised to see how many brood boxes had old brood frames in them. I wouldn't have let them anywhere near my bees, but they were all snapped up.

Pete (above) got a very nice extractor (Thornes) for a snip, the only other extractor a foreign stainless make with a lower honey strainer reached £270. There was an old beehive trailer which crept above £400 (floor rotten, wheels v dodgy IMHO)

Bargain of the day ? A rose hive complete with frames and foundation for £30 (5 x BCs) and a complete Langstroth again with frames and foundation for £30....I was almost tempted !

Lots of chatting to beeks....

One chap said he had lost over 10 colonies, another had a friend who had lost all 14 this winter/spring. General grumbling about the weather (It was a BALTIC day freezing wet and cold NE wind) but this didn't seem to put people off too much.

Nice to see a few obviously new beeks being coached by old hands on what was available (''now this is a wbc super, and this....well....not sure really..moving on !'')

Nucs were inspected by a Bee Inspector in freezing rain/wind - poor old bees !

All in all an interesting day, a few bargains, alot of TAT and a few soaked shoes

regards

S

Latest posts

Back