fumidil b

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi - can anyone help?? - never mixed up syrup before - previously bought ambrosia but am just in middle of making up fumidil b treatment - instructions say 7 pts of water to 14lb sugar with 1 dessertspoon of formidil b but have to keep temp to below 49 degrees according to instructions.
syrup doesnt appear to be clearing - is this correct or will it do so eventually?

Last edited:
I put fumidil in a small jam jar with some weak syrup and give it a good shake. it mixes and can be poured into the bulk of the syrup when the syrup is at or near room temperature.

i dont make the rothamsted 7 pint sugar syrup for fumidil B as i am using ambrosia now

i mix mine with Ambrosia syrup and get it to dissolve easily using icing sugar ( from a post by Hivemaker...thanks HM)

12,5k jerry can of ambrosia

take off 500ml of ambrosia

half a tub * (12.5g) of fumidil B into a pestle and mortar ( mask and gloves...dont want farmer's lung

add twice as much icing sugar to the mortar and mix together

then add a little of the 500ml of ambrosia to the fumadil B /icing sugar and mix

make into a paste and gradually add more syrup

when it is like smooth cream with no lumps add it to the main jerry can of syrup, lid back on and shake vigorously

use the rest of the 500ml to wash out the mortar and pestle ,adding it all back to the main jerry can

you jerry can now has 200mg of the active ingrediant fumagillin in it, each hive needs according to the rothamsted formular at least 166mg, so two jerry cans is enough to treat three hives but i tend to treat at 200mg per 14x12 rather than 166mg which was for a standard hive

i feed the first dose as 1:1 syrup by diluting 500ml with 500m of water in the feeder ( or somtime 50% of a lb jar and top up with water)

Last edited:
just to add, if you keep your fumidal B mixed with sugar syrup or ambrosia in sunlight it stops the fumidal B working after 6 days....so keep it in the dark between feeds

your jerry can now has 200mg of the active ingrediant fumagillin in it, each hive needs according to the rothamsted formular at least 166mg, so two jerry cans is enough to treat three hives but i tend to treat at 200mg per 14x12 rather than 166mg which was for a standard hive

must get a new calculator or stop drinking GIN :banghead:

should be "

your 12,5k jerry can now contains 250mg of fumagillin"

Latest posts

Back