Full super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deemann1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+ nucs
What way do i store full frames of honey .I haven't got the extraction equipment yet.
Any suggestions?

You only need a couple of weeks of wet and windy weather, when the hive is packed with bees, to lose all of that - I know because it happened to me the year before last.

CVB

Beg or borrow an extractor. Otherwise leave it on the hive. You may lose it if the bees need it but it's better than trying to store it.
E

I'm glad I saw ur post,,,,i had two hives with one super on each almost full....I decided to leave them til they were completely full....two weeks later after a period of wet and windy weather, all was empty....not that I'm both as the bees needed it to survive...but very interesting

Or just do it the old-fashioned way; cut off the capping with a breadknife and let the honey drip into a large bowl.

If you are leaving it on your hive make sure you have another super under it.

If you are leaving it on your hive make sure you have another super under it.

[iagree]

Very important!

Not had time to extract yet so a lot of my hives look like this!
(** I bottom super, i.e. place new empty supers directly above the brood box.**)

Attachments

• 2017-07-06 18.09.21-1.jpg
    2017-07-06 18.09.21-1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 33
I'm assuming this is the only super on the hive then?
If so and you follow the advice to extract now, be ready to feed your bees if the weather does turn bad. ;)

[iagree]

Very important!

Not had time to extract yet so a lot of my hives look like this!

(** I bottom super, i.e. place new empty supers directly above the brood box.**)

Love this photo.
I can tell from the slab you have taken the time to level the site but the slope on the hill makes the optical illusion that the hive is about to topple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Love this photo.
I can tell from the slab you have taken the time to level the site but the slope on the hill makes the optical illusion that the hive is about to topple.

Yes I put the slab in just 2 days ago before adding the 4th super!!

Before that the wobbly hive stand was balanced on a 2x2 piece of wood and some pieces of broken terracotta pot!!!!!

I realised that 3 almost fulls supers and a good gust of wind would have had the hive over.

On that note it's also important to realise what kind of weight the hive stand has to support! I'm currently up-rating mine.

Yes I put the slab in just 2 days ago before adding the 4th super!!

Before that the wobbly hive stand was balanced on a 2x2 piece of wood and some pieces of broken terracotta pot!!!!!

I realised that 3 almost fulls supers and a good gust of wind would have had the hive over.

On that note it's also important to realise what kind of weight the hive stand has to support! I'm currently up-rating mine.

Absolutely at the end of the OSR this year, I extracted around 55lb of honey from 2 not completely full supers. I do not envy you lifting that top Deep unless it is a demaree and will be empty?

Latest posts

Back