Frog spawn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzi Q

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well I never, frog spawn already in my little pond, 2 weeks earlier than usual. I hope that is a good sign, of a warm and early spring.

Heavens. I must have a look in my little pond.
We had early frog spawn last year then it got frozen :(

Doris said we had some two weeks ago!

Land is absolutely sodden... I really feel so sorry for those poor souls living on the Somerset Levels..... the Smart is really struggling with these horrendous winds, even been overtaken by lorries on Friday, not looking forward to the trip back to Bristol!

Doris said we had some two weeks ago!

Land is absolutely sodden... I really feel so sorry for those poor souls living on the Somerset Levels..... the Smart is really struggling with these horrendous winds, even been overtaken by lorries on Friday, not looking forward to the trip back to Bristol!

Maybe buy a Landrover next time?

Similarly I wouldn't buy a home that was below sea level or had a cast-Iron plate higher than the door-step, (let alone above waist height) commemorating a previous "Flood level".
:nono::nono:

However, (as the environment agency pat themselves on the back in Bewdley & Bridgenorth) has anyone noticed that areas downstream from their "flood defences" (Worcester) are getting the flood-water that would have previously spilled over the banks upstream???

QUOTE]

Hmmm Sibleyback to Bristol 135 mile - In a Landy ... fuel consumption at best 27 mpg on a motorway, as low as 20mpg urban. In a Smartcar .. 47mpg ... perhaps even 55mpg at steady speed on motorway. No contest really ... just avoid anywhere there's likely to be puddles or high winds !! Well - that lets out most of the West Country then !! Best use Doris' Landy until summer ....

QUOTE]

Hmmm Sibleyback to Bristol 135 mile - In a Landy ... fuel consumption at best 27 mpg on a motorway, as low as 20mpg urban. In a Smartcar .. 47mpg ... perhaps even 55mpg at steady speed on motorway. No contest really ... just avoid anywhere there's likely to be puddles or high winds !! Well - that lets out most of the West Country then !! Best use Doris' Landy until summer ....

Well I have made it back to Bristol, and my laptop is working!
Doris's Ex British Army LWB Defender more like 12 to the gallon of finest pink she says! Far too many knobs and things to play with for me!
I am told I want a nice automatic 6 litre Shogun with a big winch on the front, Nephew Elmo in Sweden has one, that Doris was very impressed with on our last trip there.
Has anyone noticed any red frog virus... evident in the Swedish acidified lakes and was killing off a few frogs in the South of England last year?

Well I never, frog spawn already in my little pond, 2 weeks earlier than usual. I hope that is a good sign, of a warm and early spring.

Lucky you to have some. Our local amphibians have all but disappeared over the past 2 years. I suspect a killer virus.
Cazza

Lucky you to have some. Our local amphibians have all but disappeared over the past 2 years. I suspect a killer virus.
Cazza

I think I have too many frogs in the vicinity! Every year (for the past 5 years or so) my pond has been heaving with frogs, hundreds, until just about the whole of the pond is covered with spawn. In their mating frenzy the frogs churn up the mud from the bottom of the pond, coating the spawn and making the water cloudy, so unfortunately the spawn dies (lack of oxygen?) and no taddies. This year I hope for only one or two clumps and later some tadpoles.

Have you heard the noise a frog makes when a cat gets hold of it, It's pitiful like a baby screaming

Ours get to small frog stage and then get eaten by the chickens!

??? But aren't you the one from the valleys? :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Nop not me, born in the Gower and had one French grandmother and an English grandfather, the other two were Welsh so a bit of a mongrel really but I do live in the Swansea valley at the foot hills of the Brecon Beacons, a stone throw away from a prolific Salmon and Sea Trout river, a bird sanctuary nature reserve is just down the road, fields of clover and slops of heather for our bees, so in all not a bad place to live until they popped a few windmills up on the hills, sorry wind generators but the locals call them windmills just to have a poke at their creators as it drives them mad lol

Latest posts

Back