Free sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. Alas I shall now probably always refer to them as
Les amms de Cornouailles***......

***Kernow gwenen gwregdhek.... Original Cornish Honeybees would be a better terminology if one would wish to be pedantic.

Your cousin Thymallus would be proud of you to be sure... to be sure!

Nos da

And pray tell how does the seafaring activities of the good Landes sailors become correlated with Les Amm's De Cornwall?

The context was your dismissal of the idea of a maritime brood cycle. From Ruttners 'Biogeography and Taxonomy of Honeybees' in reference to Amm....

Typically, a flat seasonal brood rhythm is observed: Slow increase of brood quantity in spring, late flat peak, slow decline in autumn (Fig. 10.4). This is an adaptation to the heather nectar flow late in summer, found all along the Atlantic coast from Portugal to Norway ("Atlantic" type of brood rhythm in contrast to the "continental" type of A. m. carnica).
http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-642-72649-1

Not in Northern Europe they didn't...unless you want to provide evidence that they made Igloo hives and lived on snow flowers.

More than a few bob short........ More like most of the pound has gone missing.
As Curley describes.....

149415-004-3FCD1F93.jpg

I is a great affront to the many excellent beekeepers who lost their bees to the Isle of Wight disease (I knew several of them), that it was not really an epidemic and mostly imagined by them.
Now someone is referring to that time in prehistory when a land bridge existed between these islands and Europe. The fact this land link existed is apparently proof that the AMM here in Britain is indeed Native AMM, despite being descended from continental imports of less than a hundred years ago! ;)
That "Manifesto" of the Cornish group Icanhopit kindly directed me towards, was clearly written by an underfunded public relations company; who knew nothing about bees.
My case has by now been well proven, it is regrettable that some were unwilling to engage in, or unable to engage in rational discussion.:)

Last edited:
I is a great affront to the many excellent beekeepers who lost their bees to the Isle of Wight disease (I knew several of them), that it was not really an epidemic and mostly imagined by them.

Reading about many people around the world that don't even believe the holocaust during the second world war ever happened, it comes as no surprise that there would be people who would not believe in something like this bee disease, as time marches on I expect there will be a lot of other things that people will decide to think never happened.

....... it comes as no surprise that there would be people who would not believe in something like this bee disease......

Is there is a better study of the period than Baileys by someone of equivalent expertise?

There is no doubt that some beekeepers lost most of their bees in the Isle of Wight in 1906, which, apparently, was the worst of two or three consecutive bad years. It was then assumed, however, without any evidence, that the cause of the losses was an infectious disease. This idea was then promulgated by sensational but uninformative articles, which I have read, in the Standard, a now defunct London morning paper, and in several provincial newspapers. This publicity, as usual, helped to fix the belief firmly in the public mind.
The first professional investigations was made by Imms in 1907. He examined bees in the Isle of Wight which were said to have the I.O.W. disease and found they had 'enlargement of the hind intestine', which Imms, who at the time seemed unfamiliar with bees, thought abnormal. His diagram, however, represents very clearly the intestine of any normal bee that has been long confined to the hive. Malden, the next professional investigator to visit the Isle of Wight, pointed out that the intestine of healthy bees confined to hives for a few days very closely resembled those of diseased bees. He had accepted the idea that there was an infectious disease, however, and he obtained a colony, said to have the I.O.W. disease, and confined it in a 'warm room' in a muslin cage on 27th June, 1908. By 10th August, he said, they had ceased to fly, and the colony was dead by 26th October. To keep them for so long under such conditions, however, would have been difficult had the colony started in the best of health. Malden examined minutely the anatomy of bees said to have the I.O.W. disease, including their tracheae and air sacs, but all he found were more bacteria in the gut of diseased bees than in healthy ones: he failed to show that these micro-organisms were pathogenic. Bullamore also pointed out that bees prevented from flying sometimes develop signs, described as crawling with bowel distension, which are indistinguishable from the I.O.W. disease. Now in 1906, according to newspaper accounts, there was a disastrous April for agriculture, with frost (- 5°C. in London on 2nd May) and snow, after a very early spring which had been hot enough to draw crowds to the seaside resorts. This very unusual weather might have accounted for trouble with bees which, being suddenly confined to their hives, possibly with freshly gathered nectar, may well have become very dysenteric. The only photograph of bees suffering from I.O.W. disease I have been able to find was taken in 1911 by G. W. Judge. A print is in the Bee Research Association Library, and it shows what appears to be a colony with severe dysentery-not a very unusual event after winter even today. The ‘Isle of Wight Disease’: The Origin and Significance of the Myth. L. Bailey

Dr John Rennie...more nearer to the time and the decades that followed.

https://archive.org/stream/cu31924003692633#page/n3/mode/2up

....and on the next page from your quote of Leslie is the study done by Brother Adam, two very conflicting views, I think it was a form of paralyses associated with tracheal mites (Acarine), bit like DWV and varroa.
The rise of paralyses without tracheal mites is the most worrying trend in recent years, much more worrying than varroa mites.

Last edited:
Dr John Rennie...more nearer to the time and the decades that followed.

Bailey had the benefit of 40 years of advance in the science and quotes Rennie ....
The final opinion of Rennie (12), a co-discoverer of Acarapis woodi who had much experience with bees said to have the I.O.W. disease, was that, 'under the original and now quite properly discarded designation "Isle of Wight disease", were included several maladies having analogous superficial symptoms'.

This is nothing new, we have been taking split bags of sugar from Tescos for the last 3/4 years, we had to prepare and sign a disclaimer stating that " we would not sue them if their sugar kills our bees" we had to check every bucket as they would put all shorts of crap in with the sugar, brown sugar, fag butts, chewing gum etc, the biggest problem we had was the staff, they strongly objected to us having FREE sugar when they could not. All went well to start with then gradually we would get less and less, and they would make excuses like "the guy dealing with it is not in today" or "no nothing this week "despite there being plenty of split bags on the pallet every time we shopped there, i can take an educated guess where is was going !! we used to go in to collect it once a week at first then after lots of wasted trips they insisted on phoning us when a 60lb bucket was full, now we were down to once a month if we were lucky, and when we got to nothing for 6 months we gave up and made the switch to premixed syrup, much better for the bees anyway. I wish the recipients of the split bags the best of luck they will need it, as i said before this is nothing new.

The context was your dismissal of the idea of a maritime brood cycle. From Ruttners 'Biogeography and Taxonomy of Honeybees' in reference to Amm....

This is an adaptation to the heather nectar flow late in summer, found all along the Atlantic coast from Portugal to Norway ("Atlantic" type of brood rhythm in contrast to the "continental" type of A. m. carnica).

You seem to be adding your own additional words in the hope we will mistake them as the originals authors. Tut Tut, Rewriting history as you see it ???
Ruttner describes Landes bees as having a heather pattern of brood rearing and those of Paris having a central brood rearing pattern and then goes on to say that within the confines of France you can find ever pattern there is.
Not a single mention of a Maritime brood pattern.
Dark European honey bee, by Ruttner et al pages 19-21.

Also of note Ruttner describes them (Amm's) as "The dark Bee. as already mentioned, can certainly be described as moderate in every respect, in quantity of brood, in number of bees etc etc
My own colonies of Amms reinforce Ruttner's observations. A modest little bee with much to be modest about.

Nothing new
This Tesco initiative is to supply sugar that would otherwise go to waste to a dedicated group specifically breeding to increase the number of Cornish Amm colonies.
This supplements the invert sugar that the group pays out of its own pocket.... for those who do not know , breeding bees takes a lot of sugar throughout the breeding season.

I have never been able to get sugar for free to feed my colonies in the Autumn!

On viruses.... worth every penny of the modest £25K grant to the MBA who lead the world on viral research.... marine virus and honey bee virus are very similar.

http://articles.extension.org/pages...he-deadly-varroa-mite-associates#.VAm9e0Dp8_c

Myttin da

You seem to be adding your own additional words in the hope we will mistake them as the originals authors. Tut Tut, Rewriting history as you see it ???
.........A modest little bee with much to be modest about.

Chapter 13, page 239, Lines 5-10.

Typically, a flat seasonal brood rhythm is observed: Slow increase of brood quantity in spring, late flat peak, slow decline in autumn (Fig. 10.4). This is an adaptation to the heather nectar flow late in summer, found all along the Atlantic coast from Portugal to Norway ("Atlantic" type of brood rhythm in contrast to the "continental" type of A. m. carnica).

Nothing wrong with modesty in a northern maritime climate.

Latest posts

Back