• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Free bees (in Gloucestershire)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firegazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Due to my lame beekeeping, and some captured swarms (maybe mine, maybe not), I have 3 and a bit colonies of bees and I only want two.

I caught a fairly big swarm (10 days or so since they moved in) in a full hive and a much smaller cast swarm (4 hours or so since they moved in) in a poly nuc hive.

If there are any desperate beginners out there trying to get started, you are very welcome to one or both of these colonies. You'll need to collect them and provide some housing for them. I can help with that but I'm not an expert.

I don't give any promises on whether they'll survive, what state the queen's in, what their heritage is, etc. If you want to be sure of all that, find a more experience beekeeper and pay proper money :)

FG

Hi FG,

I think I fit the discription of 'deperate beginner'. :D

The bad weather has caused long delays in the delivery of my first nuc and I'm getting to the point where I don't think it'll arrive.

Is there a chance we can discuss the practicalities of me picking one of these colonies up? I have a couple of empty National hives and am very tempted by your offer. :drool5:

All the best.

S

Shaag,
the larger swarm (now a functioning colony) has just driven off in a car, heading for South Bristol. New beekeeper 'Fraise' was at the wheel after PM'ing me yesterday - sorry.

There's still a small cast swarm in a poly nuc (Langstroth) that I'm happy to either keep or give away. It might be quite risky as a first nuc for you though: nuc's usually come as properly functioning colonies with a laying queen etc. This colony is really just a bunch of bees with a possibly mated queen - it may go nowhere even with lots of care and attention.

If you can change to Langstroth, I could try and build them up a bit until we at least know they are going to live, then you could take them on from there?

FG

Hey FG,

No worries, I wish Fraise all the best with his new colony.

I've got all National kit and quite a few spare bits, so converting to Langstroth at this stage isn't really an option. Thanks for the offer though.

I'll just keep watching the email and hope I'll get a message saying my nuc is ready soon.

All the best.

S

Hope you don't have to wait too long - I remember the frustration of reading this forum while waiting to get my first bees.

If I land another swarm, I'll try and contact you and you can beam over with some National kit.

FG

Wish I'd found this forum before. I've been looking for a swarm. Downloaded the plans and built two hives, frames etc. Bought the foundation and a swarm lure...didn't work. Can't see me getting any this year either, not with numbers down

Back