Frames sizes.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybee

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
A FEW
Any one know what frames if any? will fit a Langstonth deep from thr%#e sale. Or will there be any next week at convention trade stall as I'm changing over to ploy lang from wood nats. And trying to keep cost down Cheers

Lang and Dadant are same thats about it !
they are cheap as chips though can get them for £1 each

Where from show?

So I'm guessing that's a yes.

Any one know what frames if any? will fit a Langstonth deep from thr%#e sale. Or will there be any next week at convention trade stall as I'm changing over to ploy lang from wood nats. And trying to keep cost down Cheers
Do Thornes sell Langstroth poly?

If you're going to be using Paynes (Swienty) poly Langstroth you'll need Dadant shallow frames for the supers because Langstroth shallow frames are too shallow for the boxes and you'll end up with comb hanging beneath them.

If you're using another make of poly hive you need to carefully check the depth of the 'shallow' boxes before buying frames, some will take Langstroth shallows others will take Dadant shallows.

Any Langstroth brood frames will fit the Paynes (Swienty) Langstroth poly deep (brood), but if you're buying Langstroth Jumbos you can use either Jumbo Lang or Dadant frames but Langstroth Jumbo and Dadant deep top bars are slightly different width, which means you can put fewer Dadant deep frames into a Langstroth Jumbo brood box.

From Thornes:
Langstroth Jumbo - Size (L x W x H): 483.00mm x 35.00mm x 286.00mm
Dadant deep - Size (L x W x H): 483.00mm x 38.00mm x 286.00mm

Sorry, serious topic drift!

Last edited:
Was thinking about having bee boxes. I'll be buying bulk not sure tho

Dadants have wider side bars, the length and depth/height are as you say, the same.

Sorry yes missed that bit the dadant are 1 1/2 wide as apposed to 1 3/8 for the lang

Mann lake have lang frames at about 70 pence each on 100 + frames

Brill I'll have a look thanks

Was thinking about having bee boxes. I'll be buying bulk not sure tho
Do you know anybody with them so that you can have a play.
I found the locating lip on the bottom of the box a serious problem in crushing bees when replacing,yet others seems to have not noticed this.
Also once you get MB nothing else but MB supers will fit.
Is the bee space split on the MB Langs? it is on the Nats.

I'm not sure about the bee space but a few people have said about the replacing of the perspective clover with thicker perspecs. It's going to be a big job transfering over. I've looked at 2 other makes and I have issues with both.
I'm not sure what to have other than, I want to cut my inspection times down and start fresh and standardise with good quality gear. I do like the locking idea tho , as I do sum moving about though out the season. I'm set on langs as I've order my frames. Just the hives to be order. But what to get ?

I'm not sure about the bee space but a few people have said about the replacing of the perspective clover with thicker perspecs. It's going to be a big job transfering over. I've looked at 2 other makes and I have issues with both.
I'm not sure what to have other than, I want to cut my inspection times down and start fresh and standardise with good quality gear. I do like the locking idea tho , as I do sum moving about though out the season. I'm set on langs as I've order my frames. Just the hives to be order. But what to get ?

I've got the Swienty (Paynes) full sized boxes but Beebox (Modern Beekeeping) nucs, because I couldn't get any Langstroth poly nucs from anywhere else.

The Swienty boxes are probably slightly easier to manipulate and put back together, possibly because I'm more used to them because I handle these boxes more than nucs.

I use the nucs for collecting and growing on swarms and for splits. The way they lock together makes them idea for moving.

I have both feeders and supers for the nucs, and I actually like the way they lock together. I do find it awkward to use a queen excluder because I had to cut down a full size one and probably didn't get it quite right. I don't know how the queen excluders are supposed to fit into a full sized Bee Box (as opposed to a nuc) because I've never used one.

I use a sheet of greenhouse-type polythene as a crown board on the nucs, but use thicker polycarbonate on my full sized hives.

I have one MB poly jumbo lang and several home made wooden jumbo langs. I use dadant jumbo frames..

No issues.

Interlocking is NOT a good idea for hive bodies. It wasn't near 30 years ago and that is still the situation. What you want to look for over all else is "Will it fit my kit with out some sort of adaptation?" If yes ponder it and if not forget it.

PH

Polish poly langs are the best for me (UK supplier, google it, think they're on internet auction sites too). Got one will get more as this hive has started this spring like a rocket (much better than wooden hives and no fondant needed). Don't get on with my one MB poly due to interlocking and possible split bee space. Roof/cover board sits very close to top bar and its difficult to put anything on top (medication, food etc.).

Cheers I'm going to have a good look Saturday at a few not rushing in to buying until I'm 100%. Plus I'll have a chat with sum of the full timers. Thanks everyone.

Interesting

Report back if youve time

Am about to transfer iver to Poly Lang deeps and trying to get as much info as possible

Thanks

Interesting

Report back if youve time

Am about to transfer iver to Poly Lang deeps and trying to get as much info as possible

Thanks

I will as I'm having a bluk lot, and I don't want to waste my money and time. Let you know the weekend

Latest posts

Back