Frames sizes.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Thought I'd ask my question in this thread rather than make a new one.

Just about to order our first hives and have decided to go with the National Poly 14x12 hives with two Supers inc Frames and Wax - from Maisemore.

Question - the options for the supers are:
  • 12 SN4 Frames
  • 9 SN1 Frames with castellations in each
  • 10 SN1 Frames with castellations in each
  • 11 SN1 Frames with castellations in each
  • 11 SN1 Frames with plastic ends in each

Can I ask what you'd recommend? I'm unsure as to why I'd go for 9 or 10 SN1 frames with I could go for 11 at the same price. Is utilising 9 or 10 frames rather than 11 better for space and productivity?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Just about to order our first hives and have decided to go with the National Poly 14x12 hives with two Supers inc Frames and Wax - from Maisemore.

• 12 SN4 Frames

Can I ask what you'd recommend? I'm unsure as to why I'd go for 9 or 10 SN1 frames with I could go for 11 at the same price. Is utilising 9 or 10 frames rather than 11 better for space and productivity?

Thanks in advance!

All this S/DN1/4 plastic end nonsense is a great argument for Langstroths! Who would choose a prime number of frames in a box?! ;)

Thanks in advance!

The main reason for using 10 or 9 frames in a super is the bees draw the cells to a greater depth and you get the same amount of honey (possibly more) than with 11, also less frames to uncap and spin out. But as frames + wax are expensive I would buy the 11 and then when they have drawn these out spend another couple of quid on some 10 frames castellations.
Many set their initial undrawn frames out on 11 spacing and when draw put 10 into 10 space castellations and when draw put 9 into 9 spacing. Putting undrawn directly into 9 spacing is a big ask and you can get some weird and wonderful shaped combs drawn.

Or simplify and go for Manleys.

Thornes told me some time ago they have no intentions of going poly.

We shall see as they seem to be missing the tide.

PH

Have you looked at Honey Paw hives ? as for frames I am not sure if it was mentioned but try and stay away from dadant size as the side bars are wider and you will struggle all though they will fit.

Better made and heavier duty frames can be bought from honey paw and mann lake.

Its better to wire the frames rather then using the wedge top bar.

Hi all,

• 12 SN4 Frames

Thanks in advance!

Start with the 11 sn1 then when they are drawn you can increase the gap progressively and reduce the number of frames in the box thus allowing the bees to draw deeper cells, holding more honey..Unless you are careless and tilt the box the frames will stay where you put them. I've never found a bee that was strong enough to move the frames.

Latest posts

Back