• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Framed glass for solar wax extractors up for grabs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonorousSuze

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have four aluminium framed, secondary double glazing frames going spare
that could be used to construct a solar wax extractor.

They vary slightly in size but on average, they measure approx 26" x 30".

I don't want any money for them, but if someone were to offer bee keeping
kit I would be very grateful.

I also have 5 larger frames, that are approx 28" x 52" that anyone can have
if they want to make a huge wax extractor or can use them in garden as cloches etc.

I'm at Bedfordshire county show on Sunday if anyone wants to collect from there. I'll need to know by this evening if anyone wants to do that. Otherwise, I'm based in north herts and can be contacted via private message.

I'm pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong, that for a solar wax extractor you want a single pane of glass as double glazed windows hamper the speed of heating the extractor as they do our homes.

But its very kind of you to offer.

M

I'm pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong, that for a solar wax extractor you want a single pane of glass as double glazed windows hamper the speed of heating the extractor as they do our homes.

But its very kind of you to offer.

M

Depends if it is 'k' glass

The temperature it reaches inside is a balance of radiant heat going in (reduced a bit if double glazed) and heat conducted/convected out (reduced quite a lot). Because most double glazing is constructed with clear radiant transmitting glass and a gap to insulate, a double glazed box will usually get hotter than a single glazed box. The actual temperature depends on al sorts of things such as angle to the sun, season, latitude as well as the stuff under your control such as what the rest of the the box is made of and pigeons pooing on the glass.

There are reflective coatings designed to reduce infra red transmission (k glass) but after handling and time that's likely to be less effective than a new panel anyway, just as filling with argon leaks over time. If you're not sure if it's coated just try it. If it is a problem have a clean with a pan scourer or wire wool and washing soda. The other problem to be wary of is that the heat can break normal domestic double glazing panes when the inside surface gets a lot hotter than the outside, so be careful with the glas handling.

I think you are wrong.

A very few panels are going to have a reflective OUTER coating - to minimise heating from the sun. These may be more common in hotter climates, but I've only heard of them on offices in the UK.

The better UK double glazing might use "K Glass".
Which is designed to MAXIMISE "solar gain" - heating of the house/box by the sun.
Pilkington K Glass™ forms the inner pane of an energy-efficient IGU, such as Pilkington energiKare™. The coating reflects heat back into the room whilst also letting in free heat from the sun, known as passive solar gain.
http://www.pilkington.com/europe/uk...oducts/bp/bybenefit/thermalinsulation/kglass/
Absolutely ideal for a solar wax melter! :)

Double glazing should be better than single because of lower heat loss anyway. Lower loss would mean it would reach a higher temperature under the same sunlight conditions - or it would work better on worse days!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back