Frame wire and brass rivets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can try local hardware stores, as they often carry basic supplies like frame wire and brass rivets. I came across a website that sells frame wire and brass rivets, you might want to check it out.
The website is called "Scrooz" and you can find it at Scrooz Fasteners | Screws, Fasteners, Nuts and Bolts | Biggest Online Fastener Suppliers Australia. I've ordered there a pack of screws an dthe delivery was pretty fast, wich was crucial for my project. Hope it will be helpful for you as well.

I re-use my frames after boiling in washing soda but you are right about the wires available from the usual beekeeping suppliers -they do stretch andinevitably have to rewire them.
Have you tried using a wire crimper?
I've don't recall ever having broken a wire using one and have done thousands of them. Particularly good if the wire has never been crimped.

I've don't recall ever having broken a wire using one and have done thousands of them. Particularly good if the wire has never been crimped.

Yes. Its ok on normal wire...not the very stretchy stuff....and not good on the very springy high tensile stuff we use nowadays.
Will be demoing how we retension and rewax the stretchy stuff at the show tomorrow. Have taken a small pile of the soda boiled frames with us...to show just how clean they are with zero scraping or dismantling.

I can certainly recommend Murray's frames and I use them in a near foundationless format. The small triangle of foundation encourages initial drawing of worker comb and is a friction fit with the lollipop stick so very quick to insert. Have observed consistent drawing of flat wired combs with this method.murray frame with foundation triangle.jpgclose up of foundation triangle.jpg

Yes. Its ok on normal wire...not the very stretchy stuff....and not good on the very springy high tensile stuff we use nowadays.
Will be demoing how we retension and rewax the stretchy stuff at the show tomorrow. Have taken a small pile of the soda boiled frames with us...to show just how clean they are with zero scraping or dismantling.
The stuff I use is stainless steel Australian made wire and it is absolutely fantastic with a crimper. So quick and simple. I highly recommend it to you if you are having issues with the wire you are using. Perhaps because we have been wiring frames like this for such a very long time ...and a lot of them the length and breadth of the country, we have got the wire formula just right.;)

Yes ... I have used a crimper to further tension the wires ...it works well on the cheap Chinese wire I have in stock... the cheap wires are fine until you come to cut out the wax from frames you are cleaning and then they inevitably break and I replace them. I think the better quality stuff that ITLD uses would be a good investment... if I live long enough to use the 3 rolls of the cheap stuff I picked up I'm Simon's closing down sale !

Yes ... I have used a crimper to further tension the wires ...it works well on the cheap Chinese wire I have in stock... the cheap wires are fine until you come to cut out the wax from frames you are cleaning and then they inevitably break and I replace them. I think the better quality stuff that ITLD uses would be a good investment... if I live long enough to use the 3 rolls of the cheap stuff I picked up I'm Simon's closing down sale !
I now steam the wax off in a steamer rather than cut, so I'm not sure if there is an issue with the cutting perhaps... (I used to cut if off before the steamer).
I've measured the wire on the roll I have, and it's .37 mm thick. Good luck with what you have bought anyhow, it might be ok and you'll soon use it if you do expand the apiary.(y)

I used to wire my super frames which made them that much more robust for going through the agitation that was applied to them pre heather extraction.

I have a spool of it that lives in the garage, I have wired hundreds of frames from it and barely reduced the wire by 10mm. I will weigh it and measure it and put up a pic. I'm open to offers allowing for the postage which is not going to be cheap.

PH

Is there any interest before I input the time to weigh etc?

PH

Is there any interest before I input the time to weigh etc?

PH
Hard question to answer till we have more details, at present we don't even know if it's stainless. But in principle, there might well be interest.

Key to selling well is to put the effort in to sell in the first place.

You can try local hardware stores, as they often carry basic supplies like frame wire and brass rivets. I came across a website that sells frame wire and brass rivets, you might want to check it out.

Back