Frame Runner Dimension Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apricot Slice

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello all,
What is the dimension? see attached pic.
I have been making some CAD models of various hives and have run into a gray area.
The missing link from all the old drawings are the frame runners.
It seems that the distance the runners elevate the frames varies.
Presumably the elevation is standardized these days. Is it 6mm?
I have found gaps between rebate and lugs range from 3mm to 8.4mm.

frame runner.jpg

The beespace beneath the frame lug is determined by the height of the runner on which the lug sits; beespace is generally accepted to be 8mm.

There's a thread running on the main forum on the same topic called Running short.

The poster Hiveanidea discovered that several manufacturers aren't aware of the principle of beespace.

The beespace beneath the frame lug is determined by the height of the runner on which the lug sits; beespace is generally accepted to be 8mm.

There's a thread running on the main forum on the same topic called Running short.

The poster Hiveanidea discovered that several manufacturers aren't aware of the principle of beespace.
Thank You for pointing me in the right direction.
I have read through. Interesting. Think I will be making my own.

It's the depth of the frame lug on the top bar. Without any frame runner fitted, the height from shelf to the top of the hive is twice the depth of the frame lug.

For such spaces, read ‘bee space‘ minimum 7mm - too much more and the bees think it’s a handy space to build more comb and before long it’s all locked together with beeswax!

Back