Frame boiling pot

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once boiled frames with a homemade device but no longer bother, price of a new frames second quality is probably cheaper than the heating and labour costs recycling old ones.

having been reading this the last few days, think I'll be cutting up an oil drum and making something myself,

The problem with a oil drum is that the frames are in the bottom and all the muck and slug floats to the top when boiling and then you have to pick the frames out throw all the muck you need to make a over flow system to take all the muck away out of the drum but no to small that it blocks or plastic as it will metle and warp got quite a thrashing in my younger days for melting a new length of plastic guttering doing this job

Use a small square chest freezer with an immersion element in the lid ,verry well insulated ,holds temperature for 12 hrs after boiling frames,tie frames in bundlesof 5 and power wash when finish,air dry,cost fridge 0 element £20

Use a small square chest freezer with an immersion element in the lid ,verry well insulated ,holds temperature for 12 hrs after boiling frames,tie frames in bundlesof 5 and power wash when finish,air dry,cost fridge 0 element £20

Like the idea of freezer as a big insulated tub... but ... why would you want to "hold temperature" for hours? Its only a couple of minutes dunking that's needed, isn't it?
I have to admit that I'd be a bit worried about the risk (and consequences) of the thing bursting with the sheer weight of water contained, and the electricity cost of heating that much water to boiling, even in an insulated tank ...

So well insulated heats up quickly done 600 frames day turned off when finished but was still boiling 12 hours later,it holds 30 litres water and can do 4/5 = 20 frames per go,also use it with a wall paper stripper to render wax using a spare fridge doar with a pipe attachment on it ,someone cleverer on here can calculate the cost of electricity but done all my frames in 1 day so got it over and done with

So well insulated heats up quickly done 600 frames day turned off when finished but was still boiling 12 hours later,it holds 30 litres water and can do 4/5 = 20 frames per go,also use it with a wall paper stripper to render wax using a spare fridge doar with a pipe attachment on it ,someone cleverer on here can calculate the cost of electricity but done all my frames in 1 day so got it over and done with

30 litres would be a minute freezer. Its the size of my Lidl tea urn and would not take 20 frames of any type.
A national brood box is about 40 litres ...
130 would be much more plausible ...
And while it was likely hot, even steaming, 12 hours later, boiling is not credible.

sorry forgot the one will post photos including frames in place when i get time ,no intention to mislead as i appreciate all information gleaned from this forum:sorry:

Latest posts

Back