fox five, hedgerow nill

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While they're at the "not scared of humans" stage, you'll get a few with the shotgun, but they'll wise up pretty quickly when they realise the man with the funny looking stick was the reason Uncle Freddy didn't come home last night. At that point you're up on the barn roof for a few evenings with a .243 and night vision scope.

They're not called wily for nothing....

While they're at the "not scared of humans" stage, you'll get a few with the shotgun, but they'll wise up pretty quickly when they realise the man with the funny looking stick was the reason Uncle Freddy didn't come home last night. At that point you're up on the barn roof for a few evenings with a .243 and night vision scope.

is there any other way of doing it,

it just gets flippen cold sat or lying still waiting for the fox to turn up, i went with a mate once five nights in january, every night i went home shivering realy badly whilst my mate was not effected by the cold, lots of shooting to do though, foxes etc.

one the last night i went on my own due to matey boy suffering from beer, i went to his "better" place to sit on the roof to find out that his choosen spot also coinsided with being above the cattle pen water tank, sounds daft but it made a brillaint thermal heat store for the night

I use a fox trap with good effect . Bait with one of the dead hens(I always keep any losses in the freezer) .
No sitting around in the wet and cold , it catches foxes while you are asleep .
g

surely the only foxes that get scared of shotguns are the ones that have been fired at and missed??
Reynard will only get smart if he's let get smart!
Darren.

My terriers used to do a very good job on foxes till the ban now it has to be the old snares or traps, was sick of chickens being taken but the dead lambs on a frosty march morning really peed me off after spending my time trying to keep them alive for the foxes just to kill them

surely the only foxes that get scared of shotguns are the ones that have been fired at and missed??

The foxes know something is killing them, they know humans are bad news, and they will put 2 and 2 together pretty fast. Rather than seeing them looking at you at 20 yards, you won't see them at all. The good thing about a rifle is you can find somewhere warm and comfortable to hole up....

:iagree:with a nice 36 gram load and size 8 shot (might have a bit of a headache for a while lol)
On the hunt we find that between 32 and 42 grams of either no1 or 3 is the most effective (we account for over 200 in a year

Comfy chair in the dining room silenced rifle with the upstairs light on works well i find (and warmer - windowsill as a nice rest)
Had the RSPCA dump a load of urban foxes in our area a few years ago, counted 13 wandering through the garden in one night on their way to wreak havoc. accounted for most of them - two had only three legs each - they'd been surgically amputated.
These people haven't a clue (and it's illegal)

I have just been cleared out by a fox as well. NO survivors :( mid afternoon.

Last edited:
unfortunately no matter how good your defences there is normally a weakness :(

Back