foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeogi75

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 nationals
has anyone used super foundation instead of brood for the cost, and did it set them back drawing out as I am thinking of doing this this year.

I wouldn't even consider it as you could easily promote excessive drawing out of drone cells. Depends what you are seeking - cash saving or other trouble. Is it worth it?

I am considering putting a starter strip on a brood frame for some of my NUC's for the coming year.

not necessarily to save money (although it all helps!), but I replaced some old comb towards the end of last season from NUCs that I had purchased, and they had cardboard starter strips.

At a glance, I would never have known the difference.

This year am going to try starter strips, and prewired frames with starter strips to see if they embed the wire in the comb themselves.

This year am going to try starter strips, and prewired frames with starter strips to see if they embed the wire in the comb themselves.

Yes they will but with wire they sometimes work round it but no great problem to solve. If you wire the frames with a strong fishing line say 25 lbs + they seem to incorporate this better than wire.

It's a good way of culling V. as the bees invariably make drone comb in that gap

Latest posts

Back