Foundation too big?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeFall

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6 plus a few nucs
I received a load of frames and foundation from T's yesterday and started making some of the SN4s up this evening. I found that the foundation was slightly too big to fit between the sidebars without rippling/warping but with 3 or 4mm trimmed off they fit just fine.

This is the first time I've made my own frames - is this common or have I got a slightly dodgy batch?

Nick

it's not uncommon for foundation to be slightly too wide for the frames

Measure it. 3-4 mm is a lot. One or the other is well out of spec (possibly both, I suppose).

RAB

can be caused by either wax foundation spreading as stored in a warm room ( remember it is mobile and soft ) or skinkage of the wooden frames again stored in a dry room or as RAB says a combination of both

i was talking to others beekepers last week saying i never find it too large, then the next batch i made up ...too large, (the frames were T seconds as per their budget hive type)

i have just bought 200 SN5s from T's and 50 manley from M's and new wax from KBS at Saturday's BBKA show...i will post tomorrow if the wax is too large

I seem to be a bit more relaxed about it than the above posters.

I just shrug and trim it to fit, keeping the offcuts for making queen cups with, or candles.

Provided it is too large then I see no issue.

Too small is another problem entirely.

And of course if you buy 2nd quality frames then some issues are to be expected, it goes with the price after all.

PH

I seem to be a bit more relaxed about it than the above posters.

I just shrug and trim it to fit, keeping the offcuts for making queen cups with, or candles.

Provided it is too large then I see no issue.

Too small is another problem entirely.

And of course if you buy 2nd quality frames then some issues are to be expected, it goes with the price after all.

PH
:iagree:
pipped me to it, my old joinery tutor taught us that if you cut your wood too big it was ok its when you cut it too small then theres a problem

KBS foundation and T 2nds seem to fit together fine.

as per PH, providing you've checked that the side bar grooves are clear of crap then just trim and keep for candles/queen cups.

Good to know it's not just me! The frames are 'firsts' (if that's the right word) and I'm using T's premier foundation. The foundation was sat in a warm conservatory for a day so may have 'grown' a bit longer. I'll just keep taking a few mm off then, no big deal.

Thanks to everyone who replied. what a great place this is!

Nick

Latest posts

Back