Foul Brood(s)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Busy Bee.

Your comments on post 47 are very informative but irrelevant to beekeepers because we do not see the stages of 'melt down' of the larvae, the reason being the cell is capped. All your explanation of the process (which is excellent) does not help the beekeeper who is checking for disease.
It's the outer sings of brood pattern and everything else that has been mentioned in previous posts.

Regards;

Hi Finman

Important sign is the small hole in the cap. If you see them, look what is inside.
If you meet like chocolate inside, it is AFB.

Then you hurry to make a shook swarm on foundations.

If disese is bad, every two cap has a hole.

Your post regarding AFB (53) is a little missguided for the regulations here in the UK we do not carry out shook swarm methods if AFB is confimed in our hives.

Could you be more explicit about what you are saying please?

Regards;

Hi Finman

Could you be more explicit about what you are saying please?

Regards;

In UK, I want should change you habits. You live 20 years behind other countries.

Burn first you all, which are national. First burn your national microscopes.

Finman,what do they use in other countries instead of microscopes now.

Even if you have a microscope you need not to loose your common sense.

However, in many (modern) countries they use to make shake swarmd and put into new foundation hives. Results have been good. And results have based on university reseach: Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland.

In Australia shake swarms have been only healing method for decades, but bees get new disease from feral hives.

We can use antibiot against AFB in Finland but we cannot sell honey from that hive. The disease emerge again into brood if you use antibiot.

And those feral/escaped hives. They may be quell of AFB even in my country.

Last edited:
Yes i agree with that,shook swarms are the best way,and that is how disease used to be treated here,then we went backwards,or some did.
And feral bee's are nothing but a big problem.

hi wilderness,
there is nothing to stop you buying any more bees you could set up another site if you want to.
if you follow the way the bee inspector uses gloves and washing soda etc you will go a long way to not spreading it any further.
Don't worry too much you can burn up AFB and you may never see it again, this may have been covered but don.t forget to deal with any supers that you used on that hive last year and it fact any spare equipment that may have come in contact with it especially if has been bred in.
going back a bit i notice the comments about there being EFB present i would for my own piece of mind if it was my bees liked a better answer than that. If the bee inspector suspects either disease then it should be confirmed. He has no choice if he (or her, let me know) states that he suspects it he should have confirmed it.

In UK, I want should change you habits. You live 20 years behind other countries.

Cough...ONLY 20 years?!?

Yes i agree with that,shook swarms are the best way,and that is how disease used to be treated here,then we went backwards,or some did.
And feral bee's are nothing but a big problem.

True and in the UK we are only apparently just discovering the value of shook swarms as a method of disease control. Manley was doing this years ago.

So .... This link might be of interest!!

http://www.capabees.com/main/files/pdf/shaking.pdf

By the way ..... as a disclaimer .... I don't know anything about what I'm talking about. At least that what's members of the forum keep telling me.....

Last edited:
It was R O B Manley i was referring to,a man ahead of his time.Apart from one of his brainwaves.

Question:
If you have a hive that's infected with AFB, after removal of the hive, is it okay to put a new hive in the same spot?

Might be, might not. Better to wait at least twenty years, without very stringent precautions being taken.

Question:
If you have a hive that's infected with AFB, after removal of the hive, is it okay to put a new hive in the same spot?

Not immediately as in UK you would be under a 6 week restriction order......

Burn off the whole vicinity of the stand... and the stand.
Monitor the other colonies in the apiary.

Worry about "other beekeepers" in the area ( as they may not recognise AFB)

also... feral colonies... possible source of your infection!

USA has its own systems to handle ABF. Not much aid from Britain. You have there inspector systems and what ever.

Last edited:
USA has its own systems to handle ABF. Not much aid from Britain. You have there inspector systems and what ever.

UK has possibly the very best Bee Inspectorate in the world.... and IF every keeper of bees was forced by law to register their colonies then it would be even better!!

Yeghes da

Question:

Discussed with my bee inspector when my bees had AFB,Used same spot.
So did Association Apiary after AFB.

No infections since : hence yes , it's OK...

UK has possibly the very best Bee Inspectorate in the world.... and IF every keeper of bees was forced by law to register their colonies then it would be even better!!

Yeghes da

Australia has even better. A beekeeper gets a lisence to keep a hive, when AFB is inspected.

However, other countries keep much more better hives than two hive owners of Britain.

Nothing is so important than keep roses.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back