Foul Brood(s)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With out really checking the notes the answer would be "Yes" but now you have cast doubt which I shall have to check.

Busy Bee

Busy bee was that the instructions for EFB as well ?

F.I.B.K.A. Policy on American Foul Brood

(11) Any bee keeper who suspects the presence of either A.F.B. or E.F.B. in a colony of bees should send a sample for analysis to Bee Diagnostic Service Teagasc.

(12) if the presence of A.F.B. or E.F.B. is confirmed the beekeeper should close the hive entrance as soon as the bees have ceased flying and ensure that the hive is absolutely bee-proof.

(13) Pour half litre of petrol through feed hole in the crown board to smother the bees. Ensure OMF is closed. All bees are dead in minutes. Thoroughly test all other hives in the apiary for Foul Brood.

(14) Dig a hole in the ground and burn the contents of the hive : dead bees, brood boxand floor. Frames, combs and honey plus supers on the infected colony.

(15) A.F.B. and E.F.B. can survive in a dormant state in unused equipment for very many years.

(16) WE SHOULD NOT CONSIDER USING ANTIBOTICS IN ANY

There it is.... OFFICIAL!!!

Busy Bee

yes busy bee,but that is not uk law.nor how it is carried out under uk law. we are in the uk,not the RI.
In many countries they simply treat all colonys each season with antibiotics to suppress foul brood,but they also have differnt laws.I could write down what they do in the US by there laws, and say so there,its official
Last friday (yestrday) a bee inspector in the south east uk carried out twenty shook swarms,entire apairy,for efb.
please read what applies to us in the uk,below.

http://beebase.csl.gov.uk/pdfs/fbleaflet.pdf

Last edited:
we are in the uk
please read what applies to us in the uk,below.

We as in you's or does that include me? The UBKA also carries the same type of restrictions in conjunction with FIBKA. Now I would also like to point out that we in N.Ireland have different law restriction than in Mainland UK and this means that all types of different laws in the UK are not applicabe to us! Now if you really want to get political it depends what type of Passport a person holds etc etc. N. Ireland is a very unique place.

I shan't be posting again on this topic as I merely only pointed out an Associations policy and not necessarily my opinions.

Busy Bee

Busy Bee, you should handle your hives so that inspector doest not need to burn your property or bees.

Problem is that AFB can be found from honey 2 years earlier than visible symptons are seen in brood. But it is good if is is found.

EFB is not a problems. Just get EFB tolerant bee stock.

If you do not come under uk laws,or defra,nbu, then you need not worry,you follow the laws for your country. I am stating the laws for this one,as i said at the start of this thread.If your law says burn entire hive,then do so.but what is written below does not sound any different than here.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/sr/sr2007/nisr_20070246_en_1

Last edited:
I am a little alarmed to read the AFB+EFB instructions as I remember when we had an outbreak of Foot and mouth and the instruction was to burn all cows.

Frisbee what is your take on the F+M outbreak,did we really need to cull like we did ?

All,

Colony destroyed last night with petrol. The colony is sealed with gaffer tape and waiting for the BI to come back on Thursday to burn everything but the hive bodies. Not sure about the floor and crown board. I'll let you all know what gets burnt.

He will do another inspection on the remaining colony on Thursday and I guess if it is clear a shook swarm would be a good idea. This colony was a swarm from last year and was on brand new foundation, frames, OMF and brood body.

Here's hoping it is OK.

Thats very sad new Wilderness,do you have insurance ? If so whats the payment ?

?24 for membership of my local society which includes ?2 for disease insurance for up to 3 colonies. Don't know what payout to expect.

The quiet word is that a lot, some say many of the positive F&M results were erroneous.

When the Inspector calls and diagnoses AFB is it their word alone or is there a lab test?

PH

Lab test,but they now use those lateral flow devices.

I would have thought the match stick test was sufficient.

Busy Bee

So before they burn my bees there is paper evidence they are diseased?

PH

Yes. and a standstill order,you need the paper to claim any insurance unless they have changed there policy

Last edited:
Match stick test showed brown ropey material. This was mixed with a liquid (water?) and put into a pregnancy type plastic strip. 2 lines showed positive. A vial has also been sent to the lab for confirmation.

Wilderness you are pregnant !!!!

Sorry could not resist.

With a standstill order do you have to wait a certain time before you can put a hive down on the same land ?

Wilderness

Did any of your frames look like this one?

AFBirregularbroodpattern.jpg

I realise it's not a pleasant subject but if we can help members to recognise these diseases it might help in some way.

Can you describe the frames that had the infection on please.

Thanks

Regards;

Hi Members,

Imagine we have just lifted up this frame from our brood box.

Using the photo of AFB what can we tell that this frame has a problem?

Please tell me what you see?

I have written my observations of this frame and sent it to Admin to be posted in two days time. This is because I can not copy any of your answers.

Good luck.

Regards;

Latest posts

Back