Footwear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which type of footwear do you use for beekeeping

• Wellington Boots

Votes: 212 66.0%
  • Rigger or similar leather boots

Votes: 35 10.9%
  • Walking boots

Votes: 29 9.0%
  • Shoes/Trainers

Votes: 28 8.7%
  • Boots or shoes with gaiters

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Other (any barefoot beekeepers!)

Votes: 12 3.7%

• Total voters
Cheapest available wellies from local farm supplies shop. Easy on, easy off, last for years. Perfect for warmer weather beekeeping. (But I do have some neoprene lined ones, more expensive, which I use endlessly outdoors in the winter and are about 10 years old).

Last edited:
Ay home , I can wear anything... so far I've not had my bees climbing up my legs: a lie!.. One did.. Up to my dingles.. I removed it still alive - unstung. I was surprisingly calm....

At our Association apiary, I ALWAYS wear tight fitting wellies with thick Workwear trousers securely tucked in. Too many climbing bees, stings through tight jeans and bees that crawl on the bark chippings looking for a boot to enter. Despite that the more adventurous bees have stung me on the feet, ankles and calves.. I hope my immunity is building up...

Doing what I do for a living I live and die in wellies spend about £30 for the mid range wellies - Hunters are not good in a parlour not designed for working on smooth concrete - ass over whatsits!

Buy mine from the farm shops - mole valley farmers down this way. they last at least a year up to 3 sometimes - The only reason they get replaced is when the sole wears too smooth.

They are loose fitting so enable my feet to breath, but I also wear hiking socks with them to help.

Bees dont seem to mind the strong cow smell one bit so In from milking and on with the bee gear usually!

Think one of the brands that lots of my ilk have is dunlop

After 14 yrs of keeping free range chickens I would recommend 'Dickies' Land Master. Mid priced, light, easy on/off, last a long time/ don't leak.
I used to wear Argylls but found they leaked readily (returned 2 pairs for refund within 6 months). they also wore out PDQ.
The cheapest from the farm stores are heavy and split very quickly if worn too often.
As a aside, 14 years of wellies means my feet have now spread so far that I can't get a pair of walking boots to fit. Any polite suggestions would be welcome.
Tim

I wear rig boots from err... a rig, namely the Murchison, still got green paint on them from painting the heli deck..lol

Wife swears by Muck boots, a warm wellie for her dog walking in winter.

PH

Aigle wellies for me, I seem to spend most of my spare time in wellies so went for a seriously comfy pair;)

I do occassionally wear just walking shoes but not too often, especially after a bee crawled up my trowser leg and stung me on the knee. Ouch:eek:

For calm hives, rigger boots are fine. If they are feisty, then they are very vulnerable, and once they start stinging the leather, you remain a target for a long time.

We had to deal with some bad bees last weekend, so I pulled on my old hunters. Absolute hell to get on and off and pretty uncomfortable.

Mrs rae has some LeChameau leather lined things with a full length zip. I am rather envious....

I wear Muck Boots, they are comfy wellies, not cheap, but I originally got them for dog walking so needed something which I could wear for an hours walk and get home with dry feet too

Back