Food law code of practice 2015 exemptions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
As I was looking through new 2015 legislation for a talk on honey extraction I thought I would post on the forum the exemption that allows small prime producers of honey not to register their extraction premise with public health

That means hobby beekeeper (not Mr Little despite his name and being a beekeeper) can claim exemption under section 3.4.2 of the code

It is limited to selling direct to consumers or direct to local retail shops

Attachments

• 704B7E7C-A3D7-40A8-AB2F-716BA0F540EF:Food Law Code of Practice - 2015_1.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Thanks for that, though I haven't read it all through yet!:eek:

PS are you an insomniac?? ;)

There isn't a section 3.4.2?

There isn't a section 3.4.2?

ANY foodstuff MUST be fit for consumption and the Honey regs will it seems superseded anything else in law if the other legislation appears to say anything less.

Horrifying to see honey with mouse droppings for sale at £4.00 a pound with a hand written label label... or Jams complete with human hair ... or worse offered at a farmers market for £1.50 pound in an obviously pre owned jar!

Looking for exemptons after Trading Standards have been all over you and your filthy premises is not a way out!

:sorry:
No offense intended... but fed up with this sort of thing!!!

Nos da

Think the bees need to read this and perhaps they would then be a little bit more hygienic when dealing with the honey they collect for us, no more of this collecting pee from dung heaps, and foul water from silage ridden tractor ruts and drains, and putting it into the same cells as they will later be vomiting up nectar into for us to eat, let alone using those cells which have had larvae and varoa mites *****ing in before being used for honey storage.

It is limited to selling direct to consumers or direct to local retail shops

Maybe.. but the Food safety Laws must be complied with and it seems that selling your products to any third party over the gate or otherwise, may require the vendor to register as a business... and pay tax etc... a whole can of worms!!
This it seems would also apply to small producers selling into a "hub" or co-opperative, car booters and farmers marketeers.

I would deem that the specific exemption to registration is given to those who are producing small quantities to give away as gifts to friends and family, which is a nice thing to do for those with a couple of hobby hives.

May the debate continue
Nos da

Think the bees need to read this and perhaps they would then be a little bit more hygienic when dealing with the honey they collect for us, no more of this collecting pee from dung heaps, and foul water from silage ridden tractor ruts and drains, and putting it into the same cells as they will later be vomiting up nectar into for us to eat, let alone using those cells which have had larvae and varoa mites *****ing in before being used for honey storage.

The letter that came from council EH Department with the 2015 code states "such exemption does not negate the need for workers to undertake general training in hygiene to the equivalent to NVQ LEVEL ONE and supervisors toNVQ LEVEL TWO

SO how am I going to train 50,000 workers per hive every si x or seven weeks. Bl~<>dy EU bureaucracy

Last edited:

Good idea will put all of that on the label.. will have to start selling 1 kilo jars tho!!!:icon_204-2:

What about Hogs Pudden!

Nos da

SO how am I going to train 50,000 workers per hive every si x or seven weeks. Bl~<>dy EU bureaucracy

Easy... write a letter to Santa .. send by smoke mail up the chimney.. and hey-presto.. with some magic fairy dust.. your wishes will be granted!

xmas carols:xmas-smiley-016:
Nadelik lowen

Easy... write a letter to Santa .. send by smoke mail up the chimney.. and hey-presto.. with some magic fairy dust.. your wishes will be granted!

xmas carols:xmas-smiley-016:
Nadelik lowen

I was thinking of recording the next NVQ2 lecture I go to and playing it every six weeks to the bees but then remembered I fell asleep in the last lecture so thought It might reduce my honey yield , so I will write a letter to Santa as you suggest

I was thinking of recording the next NVQ2 lecture I go to and playing it every six weeks to the bees but then remembered I fell asleep in the last lecture so thought It might reduce my honey yield , so I will write a letter to Santa as you suggest

May the Christmas bells keep tinkling for you all​

Nadelik lowen

I do not have a registered premises because my local authority refused to accept my registration. This was because I am selling the majority of my honey in bulk for others to pack, and the relatively small volume I do bottle was considered small-scale. However, I am sure different authorities interpret things differently.

Latest posts

Back