Food Grade Paint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just because some things are still used doesn't make it right the people still using them dont have up to date info. If in doubt contact environmental health they will have the info you need. Nick B is I think right as that is what I was told by the environmental health person that visited me.

Butchers/game dealers, shooters, obviously don't have up to date info, why have the EH not completely banned lead shot and bullets?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/oct/08/pregnant-women-pheasant-deer-grouse

Last edited:
They don't use lead shot in beekeepering

Once whilst shopping in Fortnum and Masons I saw game pie for sale ,carrying the warning "Warning may contain lead shot"
The price quoted should have had the warning "May contain Gold shot"
VM

Once whilst shopping in Fortnum and Masons I saw game pie for sale ,carrying the warning "Warning may contain lead shot"
The price quoted should have had the warning "May contain Gold shot"
VM
Show off
:D

Anyone know of a food grade paint for extraction equipment? One for metal and one for wood? Or preferably one for both?

Thanks,

Andrew

This is what i used on my extractor. USDA APPROVAL: Yes Made by parker coatings in Green Bay, Wisconsin

CHEMSEAL 1600-APU Technical Data
ALIPHATIC POLYESTER URETHANE
DESCRIPTION: Chemseal 1600-APU is a two-component aliphatic polyester urethane enamel designed for
exterior/interior surfaces. Its tough durable finish is unsurpassed for its ability to withstand impact and
abrasion. Flexibility, superior hardness, adhesion and fast dry makes it an ideal product for many industrial
applications.
RECOMMENDED USES: Warehouses - storage areas - industrial and manufacturing plant floors - aisleways
- machinery and equipment - vehicles - exterior metal - auto service areas.
CHEMICAL RESISTANCE: Skydrol, MEK, hydraulic and brake fluid, gasoline and many other solvents
and chemicals. For additional chemical resistance please consult the Parker Technical Department for your
specific requirements.
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS: Excellent flexibility and light stability. Good penetration for secure
bond.
FINISH: Gloss
VOLUME SOLIDS: 50% +- 1% depending on color
FLASH POINT: Part A: 76 degrees. F. Seta Flash
Part B: 76 degrees. F. Seta Flash
SUGGESTED DRY FILM THICKNESS: 2-4 mils per coat
EXPECTED COVERAGE: 600-300 square feet. per unit at suggested DFT
COLORS: Various
PACKAGING: 1 unit = 1/2 gallon Part A, Activator
1 gallon Part B, Base
SHIPPING WEIGHT: 1 unit = 15 lbs.
USDA APPROVAL: Yes
All technical advice, recommendations and services are rendered by the Seller gratis. They are based on technical data which the
Seller believes to be reliable, and are intended for use by persons having skill and know-how, at their own discretion and risk. Seller
assumes no responsibility for results obtained or damages incurred from their use by Buyer in whole or in part. Such
recommendations, technical advice or services are not to be taken as a license to operate under or intended to suggest infringement of
any existing patent.
PARKER COATINGS, INC. - 2451 W. MASON ST. - GREEN BAY, WI 54303
800-236-9676 920-494-9676
CHEMSEAL 1600-APU Application Data
ALIPHATIC POLYESTER URETHANE
SURFACE PREPARATION: General Surface Preparation Instructions: NEW CONCRETE - Remove all
dust, dirt, grease and other foreign materials. For maximum adhesion acid etching is required. Surface must be
thoroughly dry before application. METAL should be cleaned by solvent degreasing. WOOD should be free of
dust, dirt, grease and other foreign materials. On TILE remove all wax or topcoat and clean thoroughly.
PRIMER: Probond 26-CP. Contact Parker Coatings’ Technical Dept. for specific requirements.
MIXING: Mix Part A into Part B for 3-5 minutes. Allow approximately 5-10 minutes for induction time
before application.
POT LIFE: 45 minutes - 1 hour at 70 degrees. F. and 50% R.H.
APPLICATION TEMPERATURE: Do not apply when temperature is below 50 degrees. F. Temperature of
substrate should be 50-70 degrees. F.
CURE TIME: Tack free - 1 hour. Recoat - 6-16 hours at 70 degrees. F. and 50% R.H.
APPLICATION: Apply by brush, roll or spray. If roll application is used, use a 3/8” nap roller cover. Do
not over roll or product gassing may occur. When spraying, consult the “Safety and Handling of Poly-
Isocyanate Bulletin”. Do not apply when excessive moisture is present.
CLEAN UP: Clean spills and tools immediately with P30T Thinner
CAUTION: It is recommended that the personnel observe good personal hygiene. Certain personnel may be sensitive to various
types of resins which may cause dermatitis. Do not use in confined space or closed area without adequate ventilation. This product
may be irritating to eyes and skin. Avoid contact with liquid components A and B and keep mortar from touching tool handles and
clothes. Use coveralls, goggles, rubber gloves or protective cream. Always wash thoroughly with soap and warm water after use.
Should accidental eye contact occur, wash thoroughly with water and consult a physician immediately. U.S. Department of Labor
approved material data sheet is available.
LIMITED WARRANTY: The Manufacturer warrants this product to be free from defects in material and workmanship under
normal use and service for a period of one year of the date of purchase. The Manufacturer’s sole liability shall be limited to replacing
this product if, within one year of the date of purchase, it is shown to be defective. THIS WARRANTY IS EXPRESSLY IN LIEU OF
ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS OF PURPOSE. THE MANUFACTURER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES OF ANY KIND. This warranty shall not be extended, altered or varied except by a
written instrument signed by the Manufacturer.
6/96

Butchers/game dealers, shooters, obviously don't have up to date info, why have the EH not completely banned lead shot and bullets?

Because in the end there is no evidence that ingesting lead shot does any harm - it's just pseudo science made up by the bunny huggers as a further attack on live quarry shooting (there is still no evidence to support the lead shot ban on wildfowling which came in a few years ago)

Because in the end there is no evidence that ingesting lead shot does any harm -

I know, should be no problem using lead in honey storage/extracting equipment either then....just a load of bullshit, as usual.

I know, should be no problem using lead in honey storage/extracting equipment either then....just a load of bullshit, as usual.

:iagree:

Like the ban on mercury in thermometers (even though now we have to use energy saving light bulbs.) and all the other crap the EC beurocrats dump on us.

They don't use lead shot in beekeepering

apart from when telling very naughty people that they are not going to steal your hives....

Food regs are a joke.

A butcher is told he must shut his shop because he in not allowed to carry a carcass from his chilled room in the yard because there is no covering between the two buildings...........How the f***k do the rule makers think the carcass got to the store from the delivery truck?

A large store sells prepacked food containg chicken.."Product of the UK" Crap.
That chicken is delivered to the factory every day in Belgium registered trucks and theres no telling where they got the chicken from.

Put vegetables in bags and suddenly they have a best before date.

Cheap Ready Meals are often made from food that has been in cold storage for a big company and is nearing is use by date. It is then moved to another cold store, who just happen to make ready meals. Once unpacked and repacked with other food it has a new date.
Ready made sandwiches..... Made during the day, and at just past midnight they start date stamping them, therefore giving them another 24 hours shelf life.
Bernard Mathews Norfolk Turkeys... Joke. Most were from Hungary, but process them in the UK and they are Norfolk turkeys.
Market traders selling reject dog food grade chickens on their stall. Washed with saline solution... No reports of anybody getting ill.
Foreign workers in UK who have a different way of disposing of the loo paper after they have used it throw it on the floor if there is no bin.
Show a lot of people around some of the food factories and they'd never eat any of that factories products again,

and we are told that we cant use an extractor because of whatever silly rule somebody has dreamed up. Next they will be asking us if the bees came into contact with lead pipes or plants that a dog had peed on.

Help !, I am desperately trying to locate a source for food-grade paint to paint my galvanized extractor, and every paint store I have tried is unable to help. They can supply paint for "incidental food contact" but say its unsuitable for the extractor
Any product names or sources for the paint anyone can help me with would sure be appreciated.
Any paint on food prepping equipment is unacceptable due to the chance of it flaking off into the food.
No paint manufacturer will guarantee against this and hence the reason for your lack of success.
I would suggest you dump the old extractor and purchase one that complies with hygiene regulations. especially if you are going to sell your honey.

Help !, I am desperately trying to locate a source for food-grade paint to paint my galvanized extractor, and every paint store I have tried is unable to help. They can supply paint for "incidental food contact" but say its unsuitable for the extractor.
Any product names or sources for the paint anyone can help me with would sure be appreciated.
Neil is right. If you are selling your honey it's illegal. Throw it away.
Whereabouts are you? if you are still extracting do you have a beekeeping association near you with one you can borrow for now?
Have a browse through the usual suppliers. Sales will be coming up through the winter
Can I suggest that if you find one on the internet...Ebay for example, come back and run it past us all here. There have been a few blunders recently and sometimes cheap extractors are not the value they advertise

I believe it is possible to get the extractor completely recoated with a food-safe finish, but I suspect it will cost more than buying a new extractor.

James

Latest posts

Back