Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a system for feeding fondant?

Do you do it as you think they need it?

Do you feed some syrup with thymol then give them a box of fondant for winter?

Some detail would be good please as I am thinking about thymol syrup and a box of fondant for their winter feed.

In common with many here, I feed up with a thymolised 2:1 syrup after taking off any harvest and ideally after varroa treatment, until they can take no more - unlike spring, at this time of year not overly concerned with leaving extra space for queen to lay.

Heft during the winter, and if it seems light give them some fondant. I must admit to being affluent and using the Ambrosia variety which comes in a bag you can peel one side off and leave over feedholes, surrounded by insulation. Others make their own (recipe in the Stickies section I think) or buy in as per this thread, put it in old ice cream or takeaway cartons, cover with cling film with some slashes in, and leave above the feed hole

Some feed fondant all year round, and some not at all.

£14.33 for 12.5 kilo from a local supplier (so no postage costs) :)

"Monsieur Abeille"

Thanks for the more in-depth reply, much needed!

Fondant failure

Can't seem to buy fondant round here, been hard enough to get liquid glucose. I've just had my first go at making some, and failed. Problem was to identify the 'soft ball' stage, and by the time other half had helpfully presented me with a sugar thermometer it was above the recommended temperature. I now have something that is utterly un-kneadable and looks as though it is well on its way back to granulated sugar. Any rescue tips, or is it terminal?
:willy_nilly:

... by the time other half had helpfully presented me with a sugar thermometer it was above the recommended temperature. I now have something that is utterly un-kneadable and looks as though it is well on its way back to granulated sugar. Any rescue tips, or is it terminal?
:willy_nilly:

Its probably not good for the bees. (HMF on heating)

Rescue tips? You were well on the way to making some fudge ... and if you re-dissolve it (break it up, a little water, really gentle warming) you could continue in the direction of making some sweets (fudge, nougat, caramel ...) Wrap them nicely and give them as presents?

Ah, thank you itma, I did wonder about the temperature thing - coconut ice for all this Xmas then!

Latest posts

Back