Fondant - very easy to make!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some to this recipe,and it hasn't quite set,its not runny just a bit sticky can I still feed it to my bees?

Not a problem as long as it doesn't get to run between the top bars. I have some that is similarly on the plastic side. I will make sure that they can get at it through slits in greaseproof paper, so that the bees have control.

Is there a recipe for sugar, water and lemon juice? what is the benefit of adding glucose?

Is there a recipe for sugar, water and lemon juice? what is the benefit of adding glucose?
Glucose keeps the mix pliable. Otherwise it can crack.

But it is all very messy. I gave up.

Glucose keeps the mix pliable. Otherwise it can crack.

But it is all very messy. I gave up.
And me ... I rarely need fondant but any sort of quantity and it has to be more sense to buy ready made ... unless you want ORGANIC fondant like Curly Green Fingers ...

And me ... I rarely need fondant but any sort of quantity and it has to be more sense to buy ready made ... unless you want ORGANIC fondant like Curly Green Fingers ...
Nowt wrong with making your own “don’t listen to the nay sayer”

This season I had over 400 fondants ( 1,5-2kg weight of each fondant), believe me none left, in fact gave couple more extra bought.. We calculated, almost for one bought we can make 2 of our own and have confidence in its quality.. Since the price of honey is dropping down, over here we have to spare each cent we can..

Nowt wrong with making your own “don’t listen to the nay sayer”
A post from someone who, elsewhere, is asking for a recipe and presumably (unlike me) has never made any fondant himself ?

It's not easy to make fondant in anything other than small quantities- - temperature is critical and cooling it down to get it to set means you need to somehow get the pan off the heat and into something like a sink full of cold water. It then needs stirring (a lot) to get it to the right consistency. For someone with a couple of hives, the time, patience, inclination and the kit to make it - yes, it's possible. Get it wrong and you end up with a rock hard block of sugar or a gloopy mess.

I suggest you stick to giving advice about things you know something about - making gallons of 2:1 syrup with organic sugar perhaps ?

not really any use for queen rearing though
No it’s not I’ve only got 3 10kg bags but that amount would go a long way feeding mini nucs ( apideas / kielers
We don’t use syrup so that option isn’t available.
For this next season I’ve got some frozen apideas and kieler frames but not enough .

Glucose is sugar. I guess you mean glycerine which makes it soft and sticky, or perhaps glucose syrup.
Home made fondant is made with sucrose, having a large crystal. You add either glucose syrup or glucose sugar which has a small crystal to keep it soft.

Commercially fondant is made by adding water to fine sugar and glucose powder.No heat. I suppose you could put granulated through a blender
Good luck if you have 30Kg to put through your Kenwood !! It would probably be the last thing it was used for !!!

Kitchen blender wouldn’t do it
You need one of these

Vitamix Ascent A2500 Blender, (White) Amazon.co.uk
Blimey ... that's a few bob. We are still using a Kenwood Food Processor bought for us as a wedding present in 1972 ! Still going strong. Like this one. Will still reduce granulated to icing sugar - bnt sure it would do 39Kg though !

Attachments

• food processor.jpg
    food processor.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back