Floor Tile Layout Help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Floor plan quick sketch for 600mmx600mm floor tiles to be installed in this bungalow hallway area leading into other areas possibly all. What would be the "correct" layout ie center/center from this area? 2 pic is in realtion to other areas poss to be tiled Thanks in advance

Attachments

• halldimmed.jpg
    halldimmed.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 48
  • halldimmed2.jpg
    halldimmed2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Start by measuring the floor, then snap a chalk line down the middle of the floor's longest dimension (Image 1). Mark a second line across the middle of the floor's shortest dimension (Image 2). By dividing the room into quadrants, you can begin tiling from the center point using your lines as a guide.

From here
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...j0j1......0....1.......5..0j35i39.qtmRjlhVQPE

main thing im worried about off using main centerline is it not then being central to the front door way entrance...like this

Attachments

• halldimmed3.jpg
    halldimmed3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
main thing im worried about off using main centerline is it not then being central to the front door way entrance...like this

the way i was taught to tile, was work out your cuts using different spacings, as you have an L shape you would be best to make sure your cuts are equal on both sides of each long run, your eye will pick up if one side is larger then the other, and you want to avoid narrow cuts under 1/3rd as they look unbalanced. so try with the gap in-between the tiles as the centre, or the centre of the tile down the centre for the kitchen to bed run, normally use different colour Sharpie marker pens for each layout.

this is tile grid off a centerline of the possible whole area to be tiled, plan is to buy the whole 90msq of tiles and tile the finished areas first but in the correct position in relation to the full layout ie hallway and bathroom

Attachments

• halldimmed4.jpg
    halldimmed4.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
The so called 'correct' method as described above doesn't always work especially with larger tiles, odd shaped spaces and narrower corridors. The idea with the 'correct' method is to achieve an even part tile border but the problem with that, as i see it, is where the tiles get laid in relation to the doorway centres. My preference is to see a row of tiles centred across the doorways, now this is probably not going to be possible to achieve across all doorways with such a complicated area and the number of doorways there are.

I would loose lay one row of tiles centred across the Bed1 and Kitchen doorways and then adjust to give another row of tiles centred across the front doorway and then adjust to best suit where the tiles centre across the remaining doors.

When adjusting play around with various laying patterns to see what best achieves the best visual effect...

Straight Bond where all the tiles are laid square on to each other in a grid
Half Straight Bond as above with every other row off set by a half tile (note this complicates the part tile border)

Just seen post #6

The tile run between rooms looks offset in places. Have you considered fitting door thresholds?

The best multiple room flowing layouts I've seen have been achieved by the use of varying shapes and dimensions i.e. large and small squares and rectangles. Complicated spaces call for complicated patterns.

Post #6 is what I have if using those size tiles, but I agree with John on different size tiles looking better but that's just my thoughts.

I agree the tiles may have to go smaller, I am trying to get a modern look that won't date quickly. White gloss plain ideally rectified with minimal grout lines

I don't really want any thresholds at all just a constant flow throughout

One question about the sub floor that you are going to lay on, is it one pad with the walls built on top? (unusual but seen done) or is it walls to foundation and screed/concrete fill, if its all separate pads in each room and you can seen any cracking on the thresholds or expansion joints, i would tile each room separately, as i have seen tiles crack at the bridging point between rooms.

PS im not a builder but have renovated and built a few houses as a hobby, and done all my own tiling but im no expert.

One question about the sub floor that you are going to lay on, is it one pad with the walls built on top? (unusual but seen done) or is it walls to foundation and screed/concrete fill, if its all separate pads in each room and you can seen any cracking on the thresholds or expansion joints, i would tile each room separately, as i have seen tiles crack at the bridging point between rooms.

PS im not a builder but have renovated and built a few houses as a hobby, and done all my own tiling but im no expert.

At moment unsure its fairly new about 25 yrs old but will have a look when the carpets come out it'll be a modified flexi adhesive also. I think this layout is prob gonna be as close as I can achieve prob the tile to centre as in final3. Allowing for wall thickness in final revised draught I can prob lose the one thin slither of tile in the kitchen

Attachments

• floorfina2l.jpg
    floorfina2l.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 27
  • floorfina3l.jpg
    floorfina3l.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
an alternative way to do it is instead of laying in a square pattern, rotate the tiles by 45 degrees and lay in a diamond pattern.

Where the joins are then becomes much less significant.

Last edited:
Any chance of a re analysis of this one please about 4ft tall

Attachments

• 1562433399475.JPEG
    1562433399475.JPEG
    62.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1562433436376.JPEG
    1562433436376.JPEG
    59.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190706_181838~4.jpg
    IMG_20190706_181838~4.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 15