First Pollen of the Year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
I have a nuc which was in full sun this afternoon and the bees were busy bringing in quite a lot of pollen - big baskets of some bright orange stuff and smaller amounts of greenish/grey pollen. Rest of colonies were in shade and sensibly staying put - air temp must be only just above freezing. I've put a thermometer out to check.

This is the first pollen I've seen being brought in this year.

The bright orange could be snowdrops and the other winter heather - this is from my pollen colour guide
Louise

Mine were buzzing away inside the hive today, and saw a couple out flying, although the hive has been located in a shady spot. I do hope not too shady. Catkins are out, but haven't seen them bringing back any pollen. Yet! :)

Busy Bees!

After several very cold days the sun came out today and it was much warmer. The bees responded as shown in the pictures below. One of the hives was so busy it looked as if they were swarming. The first image is a nuc, where you can see a couple of bees bringing in two different kinds of pollen and the second picture a full sized hive.

Whilst watching I saw a drone stagger out of one hive, rub its eyes and take flight. There was only one but I will need to watch this hive - the queen is one I've kept for breeding and will be in her third season this year, so she may be on her way out.

Mine too although not the best picture....always nice to see them out and about with lots of snow drops up which I think there enjoying.

Rooftops do you think this heightened activity is due to using poly hives and the sun warming the hive thus mimicking a warmer temp? Or is this normal for this time of year?

My 2 hives in cedar national OMF seem very inactive even if the sun shines on them allay as south facing.

In my first year so just wondered?

itchyhives just posted picture the second i clicked Go lol:blush5:

Rooftops, am intrigued y your comments on the presence of drones and possibility of re-queening.....would you please expand...many thanks

AMAE - There shouldn't be any drones around at this time of year. It might just be possible for a drone to over-winter (does anyone know?) but much more likely the queen may be running out of sperm and becoming a drone layer.

I need to have a quick look I think on the next warm day. If there are lots of drone brood she is a gonner. I have a few spare queens in mini-hives and it is otherwise a strong colony at the moment and worth saving.

Friar Tuck - I think it is just the warmth of the air and the sun combined, following after several very cold days. If anything, the poly will insulate the hive from the suns rays so hives with entrances facing shade won't really know the sun is shining - yet such hives were also flying strongly today. So air temperature must be the main trigger I think.

She should be good for a third year.

With my AMM I wouldn't consider grafting from a queen unless she had two seasons under her wings.
PH

Oops!

As my pictures might seem like advertising I've done a quick bit of Photoshopping and here are the unbranded versions!

The originals have been deleted on Flickr but are likely to hang around for a while - chached or something like that.

If Admin can delete the links in my post it would help.

5407407995_469ded9c20_b.jpg

5407406357_834beaa235_b.jpg

Last edited:
er that bee has pollen!!!!.......we are still suffering arctic conditions up north so no pollen yet...:toetap05::toetap05::toetap05:

And did you notice the cloned bee in the second image. Is this the first cloned bee - Dolly the Bee?

Hint: the top two bees look suspciously simliar.

Hahahahaha nope did not notice until you said.. I do love the clone tool and Photoshop lol

Ps: this only took 5 mins was a rushed job

Last edited:
Rooftops, interesting hive stand! Doesn't it push into the ground with the weight of a few full supers?

Latest posts

Back