First mistake of 2018 -- and a big one

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree absolutely. Unfortunatley as I mentioned above, I did actually consult and agreed a plan which for some reason I then decided to ignore.

I shall be doing nothing with the bees now until April or the end of March if the weather picks up (it's much warmer, earlier, here in Cornwall). They will have enough food (see previous post) and I can't do anything if the queen has gone (although I think it unlikely).

Might slip some fondant in during March just in case but I don't need to open up for that.

Don't get too hung up on the months. It is entirely dependant on the weather. If we get 15 degrees in February I will have an initial look. Not a thorough check but the odd frame to see what is going on. If we don't get a warm day I will wait until we do!
E

I was trying a little reverse psychology, he was told to leave well alone and that didn't work so I thought the opposite had the same chance of success :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
This now should be locked and fired into oblivion, if folk will not listen then so be it, reap the none rewards.

All well and good but it’s 21.44, around 5 degC and pitch black, I better go and inspect my hives, not been in for 3 days ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All well and good but it’s 21.44, around 5 degC and pitch black, I better go and inspect my hives, not been in for 3 days ;)

I've just spat coffee all over the keyboard :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

I was trying a little reverse psychology, he was told to leave well alone and that didn't work so I thought the opposite had the same chance of success :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Ha ha nice one, when I read it I thought "you can not be serious" but then again who knows.
As a novice beginner I'm on a steep learning curve and will no doubt make some mistakes and like many others look here for advice, hopefully my common sense will help me work out what's right & wrong (if in doubt a phone call to my mentor)

I would like to do same, but am feeding fondant on top bars below the crown board so have to crack it open. Prefer to do this, so that the fondant is over the brood to prevent isolation. Can do this in less than 30 seconds.

only just logged on and read OP. Brave of you to admit your mistake but im sure your honesty will help other newbees in the future. i was given a great piece of advice which sounded silly at first but now use it religously, and that is when doing anything with the bees, sit down prior to going out and bullet point a list, in order of what you plan to do. So far this has kept me fairly well sorted . fingers crossed youve not lost your queen, and let us know how you get on plz.

Brave of you to admit your mistake but im sure your honesty will help other newbees in the future.

It was a silly mistake but if it stops other people doing anything similar then all is not wasted. By killing a few bees I may have saved millions more...and shortened the war by five years (oops, wrong movie).

It was a silly mistake but if it stops other people doing anything similar then all is not wasted. By killing a few bees I may have saved millions more...and shortened the war by five years (oops, wrong movie).

Awesome. But don’t mention the war ;)

I post this for other new beeks to learn from before they make the same or similar mistakes.

Even simpler ( from a new beekeeper ) - after End of September mite treatment and feeding ( 20kg + ) i closed the hive and left it ( OMF with roof insulation ) , i opened it for less then a minute to treat with acid this weekend ( they seemed pissed but alive ) , i'm leaving them alone till spring .

HTH.

Last edited:
Even simpler ( from a new beekeeper ) - after End of September mite treatment and feeding ( 20kg + ) i closed the hive and left it ( OMF with roof insulation ) , i opened it for less then a minute to treat with acid this weekend ( they seemed pissed but alive ) , i'm leaving them alone till spring .

HTH.

As we now know, not all of us are so restrained.

try to shake bees off so that they can climb back into the old hive. They die, 200 ish bees die in seconds in the cold. Got a couple back in by hand but the damage is done.

Surprised nobody else has picked up on this, as it seems a particular point of dismay for the OP. I doubt they were dead within seconds, rather they were chilled to the point of being immobile. Picking them up and dropping them on top bars above the cluster would probably have revived them, as would cupping them in your hands and warming them with your breath*.

* learn to do this by inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth!

Back