First inspection lots of drone brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I found the Canadian research.

Frames with wax stribe. ..... Average yield 50 kg during 3 years

Foundations ...... 70 kg

Ready combs ..... 90 kg

The original purpose was to examine, is it possible to make profit in Canada with package bees.
The answer was, that without ready combs you cannot even get package bees' buying price back...... But it was 40 years ago.

Canada has good pastures, and they get often 90 kg average yield/hive.

Then those researchers counted the profuction costs and the profit, the difference was many fold compared to double difference between yield.

That is very old research, thought you didn't think much of really old research.

I have even older knowledge. 1966 I made 18 hives. I bought perhaps 30 swarms and joined them to 4 kg colonies. I noticed that colonies spent 6 kg sugar when they draw the combs ready in langstroth box.
That data I have used 50 years.

But Pete, your jokes become every year more and more miserable. Next morning they have twisted results to their own.

The Welsh beekeepers laugh to their own jokes, because no one else do that.

Learn to laugh Pete.

Last edited:
We talk about honey (energy) or about time? Of course bees lose much time drawing new combs while honeyflow and they don't bring much honey. .

Mine seem to draw (from undrawn foundation) and then completely fill a super with honey in around a week or so on a good heather/OSR/Borage flow. Usually equates to about 4 full supers per hive.... Who cares how much more honey I could have got if all the foundation was already drawn?
I figure I have enough.
The anthropomorphic side of me thinks the bees actually "enjoy" producing wax. It is one of the functions they evolved to do....why prevent them?

Mine seem to draw (from undrawn foundation) and then completely fill a super with honey in around a week or so on a good heather/OSR/Borage flow. Usually equates to about 4 full supers per hive.... Who cares how much more honey I could have got if all the foundation was already drawn?
I figure I have enough.
The anthropomorphic side of me thinks the bees actually "enjoy" producing wax. It is one of the functions they evolved to do....why prevent them?

Good night fairy tales was missing. But I waited better.

Two cows meet on the fied. One say MOOOOO!
Hi there! I was just thinking to say the same!

I started to wonder about the difference of wax syrup and ready combs. 90 kg and 50 kg.

First thing ud that when the colony starts from ready combs, the Queen can lay with full capacity from very start. New bees emerge 1-2 weeks earlier than with natural combs.

With foundations it takes usually one week that bees draw foundations. With mere empty hole it takes much more time.

From beginning bees need at first combs, where to store nectar. Nectar takes room from brood.

Simply in natural nest build up is much more slower that with foundations and with ready combs.

And then if the colony makes much drone cells, drones does not work in the hive, but they consume capital.

Lets say: If a colony has 10 frames brood, and 2.5 of them are drone frames, the difference is huge between colonies. The honey yield will ne really smaller in the drone hive

Mobus used to say by extracting Manley frames via cutting them back to the bottom bars gave the wax producing bees work and kept them out of mischief.

I think there is a fair bit in that.

I once had two supers filled and sealed in three days I went to the apiary for a last check before leaving for offshore and the bees were festooned out the entrance. I had to give three supers to accommodate them and got the then wife to retrieve the honey. Fastest I have ever seen them move. It was OSR around 1998/9 ish back when OSR really produced.

PH

Thanks for the illuminating replies [emoji16]
So, to summarise:

The original question, is a high drone population this time of year abnormal - not really, especially if they have some naturally sized comb in the hive.

Is it desirable? Depends on POV. No question drones are a drain on resources. Thus a commercial beek with imported queens prob has no interest in drones. But if I had queens with desirable characteristics I might well tolerate it in order to improve my neighbours stocks. This is more than philanthropy if I raise my own queens which are open mated...

There’s also the question of drone brood propagating varroa, unless of course culled deliberately as part of a management strategy.

As it’s so early in the season I’ll cull the drone brood ... if the weather improves enough for me to look in the hive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:icon_204-2: made me laugh out load, stop it first thing in the morning !!!
S

Ok Stiffy. How fast you make 10 boxes frames from putting sticks together and waxing. I really want to know, how to do it faster. 4 wires. What is the technics?

I do not have forest, no saw mill and no US cedar. Frame sticks at made in Estonia ja price is 50 €/ 100 pieces. Essential us qualith control. No twist or knots at all.

I know that in Britain stick price is 2.4 fold. I wonder what makes somebody laugh.

If you buy a poly box, I can see that frame sticks are more exoencive that the box.

and I never laugh to your annual yield 7 kg/ hive. I use to cry.

Last edited:
Back