First Batch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Wasn't going to bother this year till yesterdays yellow jacket dance.

And well done to whomever it was who added the rain cover previously on here, I used the wifes water trays this time. Will deploy later.

What are these for? Catching wasps? Why don't the bees go in it if it is?

Whats the best distance from the hive to hang these?

I hang mine from each side of my apiary so any wasps around are always downwind from the lovely cidery bait. Thats my logic anyway & it seems to work :)

Darren.

What are these for? Catching wasps? Why don't the bees go in it if it is?

Bees dont like fermented sugars, if honey ferments it is poisonous to them , but wasps do, and feed on rotten femented friuts like plums

so jam and cider/cider vinager, bees dont go near, wasps love it

Thank you Muswell, I always wondered why wasp traps don't trap bees....now I know :)

What type of colonies are you keeping if you need to put so much effort into killing wasps?

And more fool you for attracting wasps from miles around.

Nothing to do with attracting them they are already there. It's about drawing them away and reducing numbers.
The bees are looking after themselves at the moment.

i know i get a lot of wasps but thats with all the plum trees a have had 2 traps up got about 6 queens early on but last year i had two swarms killed with them , i opened one hive and the wasps in there were just like the bees they covered the frames from top to bottom

Checked my traps (5) today - 4 Asian hornets, 7 European hornets and LOTS of wasps. They are having a go at my Apideas but the bees are holding them off, the guard bees were standing on each others shoulders completely blocking the entrancebee-smillie

Latest posts

Back