Filter sizes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cars

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
As a new beekeeper that is eagerly waiting my first honey, I would appreciate views on the size of filter to use. I have seen filters from 600 down to 75 microns. I though the objective was to remove any luimps of wax that had got through ? Or is this to remove pollen as well ? I would intend to leave some pollen in the honey as both my daughter and I suffer from hayfever and will hopefully benefit from this. As ever views and guidance would be much appreciated.

I use a kitchen sieve to remove 'lumps' of wax. Even so, that may remove some pollen as the mesh becomes reduced by clogging.

The 75 micron will remove quite a lot of pollens; the majority, I would think, use the 200 micron for most purposes. 75 microns will give a 'brighter finish' - useful for the honey shows
Removing more pollen may lengthen the time for the initial onset of granulation (for any given floral type).

I dont think there is so much pollen greater than 200 microns. Your hayfever is likely caused by much smaller pollens (airborne) and if true 'hayfever' will be caused by the very small pollens from grasses - which bees do not collect.

I am quite happy to perpetuate the idea of eating pollen (in honey) to reduce the effects of hayfever, but I think in most cases it is likely the wrong pollen at the wrong time with an effect on the digestive, rather than the respiratory, system.

Time is also a factor under the same filtering conditions - the smaller the aperture, the more difficult to filter. 200 microns is the size I use, and at that size I reckon I can claim relatively unadulterated honey as the finished product.

Hope that helps.

Regards, RAB

ever wondered how Gales keep their honey so runny? They sieve every grain of pollen out of it (and heat it). Pollen in my opinion is part of the make up of REAL honey. My suggestion for what it is worth is to use a double sieve only. This will take out all the unwanted bits but leave some pollen. Honey crystalises around the pollen grains so you may find that your honey doesn't stay runny for very long but heating it slightly in the microwave (30 seconds on high) will soon soften it if you want it more runny. Of course all honey has different properties but please don't sieve out all the natural goodness. You just end up with a sweet sticky substance called Gales!!! (In my opinion!!!)
:bigear:

Most of the people around here who are eagerly awaiting my first crop of honey have requested virtually non strained honey ie, just though a colander. Many have said bee bits not an issue, I was quite surprised but very happy, I like it that way too:.) Should save time on bottling at least some of the crop, assuming I get one:.)

Of course all honey has different properties but please don't sieve out all the natural goodness. You just end up with a sweet sticky substance called Gales!!! (In my opinion!!!)
:bigear:

Sorry Enrico I disagree

Removing every pollen grain does not ruining the goodness of honey, continuous heating over a long period or over heating it past 100'c does.

See HMF In Honey

Latest posts

Back