Feeding warning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Just off on hols shortly so last minute checks on bees.
Standard procedure normally for me is remove supers 1st half of August and give a gallon of syrup straight away. (Then further feed later in September as required).

But lots of hives are getting dangerously light already. I'm having to feed again now. If you've removed supers keep a very close eye on stores levels. And if you've still got supers on don't assume the honey they made in July will be there much longer. August usually has subsistence levels of nectar coming in but this year not so much, or else my bees are just hungier this year.

When you inpect the hive during summer, it needs only a quick look, what is the amount of stores.

This time of year it is essential to look that brood box has no honey combs, and you extract them.
Then you take care that hive has minimum 5 kg stores for rainy week.
5 kg is two full capped frames
. Normal hive consumes 0,5 kg a day in summer.

My hives have now vigorous brooding. Weathers are good. I keep honey store low that bees make maximum amount of brood for wniter. Giving normal winter feeding is impossible, but I put a super to each hive, that they store the winter food and cap it. One day the hive will stop brood rearing and they have ready winter stores above the brood box. I put there 2 frames of pollen too for winter.

I start winter feeding next week. Our autumn comes in shedule what despite of ever the weather is now.

Latest posts

Back