Feeding New Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanK

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello, this is my first post.. so here goes, I am brand new to beekeeping and put my first bees in the hive this morning from a nuc, I have read that I now need to wait a week before looking in, however I put a litre of Syrup in a feeder on top of the crown board in an empty supa? do I need to check this or will it last the week?

Thanks.. Alan

If it's any help, I have been giving my recently hived nuc 1 gallon of week syrup per week for the last 3 weeks. (Contact feeder). They have used this to good effect with comb building. I don't think a litre is going to last very long, IMHO.

After I split my hive, the hive with the original queen went through 7 pints of syrup in a day and the nuc took just over two days to consume the same amount.

I would check the feeder before the week is up but try not to disturb the bees too much more feed is better than none!

Thanks for all the help, it's good to know I can get such good advice when I need it.... thanks again

I hope not to confuse the issue, but as a P.S. to my earlier post, I tried feeding my nuc with a rapid feeder and they didn't touch it, but, as I said previously, given in a contact feeder and they scoffed the lot.

If they are geting a flow, you just simply don't need to feed.

Question: Had the supplier been feeding very nuc for weeks beforeyou got it? Answer: No.
Question : Do you feed the full colonies all the time? Answer: No

What you actually need to do is feed adequate for them not to run out of stores.

A good nuc should come with more than sufficient stores to last until the following inspection. If that inspection reveals diminishing stores, by all means feed; if not, you are simply wasting time and effort of the bees (which should ideally be focussed on increasing the numer of bees), and stuffing the hive full of unnecessary sugar syrup.

Comb building with no increase in nest size simply means more space to maintain the nest at 35 degrees. Dummying down and encouraging the bees to increase the berood nest with a commensurate increase in stores is the way to go.

RAB

I got my first nuc last weekend & was advised to Feed, Feed, Feed.
When I transferred them to the hive, I put in 2 litres of 1:1 syrup.
There has been a lot of activity in & out of the hive this week, with a lot of pollen being brought in. When I checked on Wednesday, They had taken very little of the syrup, there were about a dozen bees in the feeder when I checked it. There is obviously enough forage coming in at the moment for them.
Looking forward to tomorrow when I'm going to check the hive properly and can see what has been happening. (It's taken a lot of willpower not to grab the suit and have a quick look.)

I hope not to confuse the issue, but as a P.S. to my earlier post, I tried feeding my nuc with a rapid feeder and they didn't touch it, but, as I said previously, given in a contact feeder and they scoffed the lot.

Bees can't smell sugar syrup. If putting a rapid on, it's worth dribbling a bit of syrup down the hole to lay a trail for them. After that they'll know where to find the goodies.

Bees can't smell sugar syrup. If putting a rapid on, it's worth dribbling a bit of syrup down the hole to lay a trail for them. After that they'll know where to find the goodies.
I did that, but they still showed no interest. As they were running low on stores I tried the larger contact feeder, and, as I said, they went berserk for it.

Thanks for the adivise I now have a rapid feeder in an empty Supa, the next question is how long do I keep feeding the bees, I will be doing my first inspection today or tomorrow? should I now remove the feeder or leave it in?

Thanks for the adivise I now have a rapid feeder in an empty Supa, the next question is how long do I keep feeding the bees, I will be doing my first inspection today or tomorrow? should I now remove the feeder or leave it in?

Hi Alan
My advice would be to listen to Rab (Post no 9.) You probably don't need to feed so if you decide this is wise advice, take it off.
Cazza

I got my first nuc last weekend & was advised to Feed, Feed, Feed.
When I transferred them to the hive, I put in 2 litres of 1:1 syrup.
There has been a lot of activity in & out of the hive this week, with a lot of pollen being brought in. When I checked on Wednesday, They had taken very little of the syrup, there were about a dozen bees in the feeder when I checked it. There is obviously enough forage coming in at the moment for them.
Looking forward to tomorrow when I'm going to check the hive properly and can see what has been happening. (It's taken a lot of willpower not to grab the suit and have a quick look.)

Can you identify stores(nectar, uncapped capped honey), when you inspect ... feed until you get a certain percentage of the occupied area stores, when you get above that, stop. My guess (also a beginners )at that percentage is 10% for your circumstances. However, IMHO its safer to run rich than lean.

I'm also only a beginner, but my nuc expanded in numbers much quicker when the feeder came off - they turned manic. I think perhaps it's hard for us newbies to estimate what is 'enough stores' and we don't want our new investment starving :biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back