Feeding a nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pturner

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Morning all..

I have spilt a few colonies into polystyrene nuc boxes. They have a side feed compartment with small excluder. What do everyone use as feed in these compartments? I assume it would just be fondant and putting syrup straight in would lead to the bees drowning?
Also the frames aren’t as easy to manipulate due to the propolis on the frame/polystyrene, is it a case of just getting getting the normal metal frame runners and cutting them down to size as I cannot seem to find any specific sizes for the Nucs?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Paul

is it a case of just getting getting the normal metal frame runners and cutting them down to size

Yes. I used these plastic ones for this job as they are easier to cut into two halves - no hacksaw required!

Plastic National Frame Runners (simonthebeekeeper.co.uk)

Although a national runner cut into two doesn't extend the full width of the nuc it still works fine as the frame lugs don't touch the sides of the nuc either

Doing this obviously removes the top bee space, so you will need to be careful when putting the plastic coversheet on not to squash bees, but that's fine.

As for feeding in these nucs, you can put syrup in the side feeder but you will need to provide a float (e.g. a strip of wood). Personally when I had Paynes nucs I didn't use the side feeder at all - don't like it - I used the separate top-feeder they provide. So, other people are better placed to comment on how to feed in a Paynes nuc than me. Over to them ......

Last edited:
I've used a Payne's with syrup and a float (bit of a frame bottom bar works, must float rather than be stuffed in at an angle and needs to occupy a lot of the surface of the syrup). Not a massive fan but it does work and spills less than the BS Honeybees ones when transported.!That being said I like the BS Honeybees ones more.

You touched on two issues I most dislike about the Paynes nucs - no runners and side feeder. Yes, you can add runner but as mentioned above, change the space above.
I prefer feeding using a top jar, allows for slow, continuous feeding & easy to see how they take it and when it needs filling…

Attachments

• 82ACCED0-593D-4BF6-8793-CC411F7DE81B.jpeg
    82ACCED0-593D-4BF6-8793-CC411F7DE81B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • D27B56F4-5918-4D79-BFB6-3F29ACCD53F3.jpeg
    D27B56F4-5918-4D79-BFB6-3F29ACCD53F3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 55E3D04C-24E6-4FB8-AB49-2FFB66DAB8B9.jpeg
    55E3D04C-24E6-4FB8-AB49-2FFB66DAB8B9.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
You touched on two issues I most dislike about the Paynes nucs - no runners and side feeder. Yes, you can add runner but as mentioned above, change the space above.
I prefer feeding using a top jar, allows for slow, continuous feeding & easy to see how they take it and when it needs filling…

Alternatively you could smother the polystyrene ledge bit with copious quantities of vaseline. You can also clean out the nucs with washing soda solution to remove the propolis between uses.

Latest posts

Back