Extractor Size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy-glide

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Now have 2 new hives which with luck will go through the winter on what they produce this year.

However thinking ahead to christmas and what may be a suiable present for my bees. Me thinks they would like an extractor as sure they would hate to see me strugling to remove their hard work.

What size extractor should I buy, do I even need one at all as our local bee society has several for loan?

Als seen on ebay lots of home made extractors made from old drums which have been painted inside. Are these best avoided?

Last edited:
use your associations for a couple of years and save up to buy a good electric one to go with all the new colonies you will get lol

I agree with Veg here.

As for the stuff on Flea... leave well alone. Paint flakes, and you are looking to deal with one of natures purest foods. Work it out for yourself...

PH

:iagree: A good one will last you years, depending how many hive you intend to keep will determine if to buy electric or manual types,
buy cheap buy twice,
If you have money you have an option,
no money no option.

Agree. Don't buy cheapo. Need to be manufactured from food grade plastic or stainless steel. Reputable ones are. Anything else is a risk (in both legal and hygiene terms).

Use association extractors for a while. Assuming there are enough for demand and easy to collect and return.

After a few years you will have worked out how many hives you are likely to run. What sort of extracting runs suit you, little and often or once a season. How much room you have to operate and store kit. And you will have some idea of what you like or dislike about particular designs.

I am a little concerned. The advice so far has been unanimous - and I cannot remember any other occasion when that has been so!

But sadly, I cannot disagree. Use your association's extractor for a while (wish ours had had one!), then buy the best you can afford.

Now have 2 new hives which with luck will go through the winter on what they produce this year.

However thinking ahead to christmas and what may be a suiable present for my bees. Me thinks they would like an extractor as sure they would hate to see me strugling to remove their hard work.

What size extractor should I buy, do I even need one at all as our local bee society has several for loan?

Als seen on ebay lots of home made extractors made from old drums which have been painted inside. Are these best avoided?

Andy at the Bedfordshire Bee Keeping Association, we have an extractor in each part of the region that you can use Free of Charge. There will be one near you contact your local district adviser, there is one in Ampthill, Bedford, Biggleswade, Dunstable, Kempston, Leighton Buzzard, Luton, North East Beds, North West Beds, Sandy and shefford

If you really want to buy one I suggest you go to agri-nova and buy one of there's. I got one from there this week and the owner Clive delivered it to my door within a few days of talking to him. Nice man! With good prices a lot of people here have one of his extractors and he comes highly recommended.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. Obviously need to think of another bee related present for Christmas!

We are only expecting to take small amounts of honey, and have bought one if the hand-cranked plastic ones (as per above link) which we have found to be adequate for what we need. It only holds 2 frames, but so far have only ever wanted to do a maximum of 6 frames in any one session, so it has not taken very long at all.

Uh huh... and you have four colonies which suggests you may, note the may, have some 12 supers to extract. Just a thought...

A happy one :)

PH

plus the 2 frame ones are usually tangential so lots of turning the frames around.

Uh huh... and you have four colonies which suggests you may, note the may, have some 12 supers to extract. Just a thought...

PH

We've had no-where near that much honey per hive this year - took the 6 OSR frames from the one over-wintered colony - and then they started needing the supplies still in the hive for themselves when the weather turned bad - so didn't take any more - and with the splits and swarms, have only been taking a few frames off. I might have a bit of heather honey later....... hopefully :)

Now next year........... I'll wait and see, so there may be a second-hand plastic honey extractor on ebay come next spring :)

PH
I have 3 supers on most of my hives and am going to have to whip some off for extraction and get them back on asap as the bees are working the balsam until the twilight ,god knows where they are managing to store it :).
Another week of good weather forecast .
At least some of the colonies are throwing out the drones . Phew!!!
VM

I have a small hand-cranked model now but borrowed my local association's one for a couple of years to start with. My biceps are bloomin impressive now, no need to feel guilty about the lack of gym visits for a fortnight!

How do people decide which to buy ?

My association only has a 2 frame hand-cranked model - so not what I MAY end up getting longer term. I know there are the obvious brands, but are ALL the stainless Eb@y ones tarred with the same brush?

Does anyone explore the 'foreign' markets?

there was a thread a while back with some pics of one of the cheap e-bay ones they sent it back.

I bought my 6 swing basket from Thomas in France via Steele and Brodie now deceased.

So yes there are foreign purchases made.

PH

For DD's attention

I am a little concerned. The advice so far has been unanimous - and I cannot remember any other occasion when that has been so!

But sadly, I cannot disagree. Use your association's extractor for a while (wish ours had had one!), then buy the best you can afford.

My dear DD, our association (group) does have an extractor to hire. Speak to Hazel and she'll point you in the correct direction. Not sure who has it at the mo.

Latest posts

Back