extractor modification...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have purchased the exact same extractor
The outside of the drum is polished, inside not, so a dull grey colour
Also it is not magnetic so would indicate stainless steel (but not exclusively) and fit for food use
As for bridging the gap in the cage, I've attached elastic bands temporarily to test for supporting the frames
Something more permanent is needed though

Last edited:

That seems a bit perverse doesn't it ? You would think that the inside (which you would want to be shiny and easy to clean) would be the surface that is polished ... not the outside.

I suppose it's a marketing ploy .... people are going to see the shiny outside when they come to buy it ... not the dull unpolished interior !

Also it is not magnetic so would indicate stainless steel (but not exclusively) and fit for food use
As for bridging the gap in the cage, I've attached elastic bands temporarily to test for supporting the frames
Something more permanent is needed though
The "one shiny, one dull side" steel is almost certainly because of the way it's made. Same with kitchen aluminium foil, always one dull side. Last pass through the rollers is two sheets, back to back. Extra pressure, so you get thinner sheets but only one side gets the shiny surface from the polished roller. The steel might be a little thinner than other makes, but that's not necessarily a problem unless there's a lot of handling and risk of dents.

As to fixing the frames, using the association version it's really not needed. If a frame slumps to rest on the central rod while loading, first gentle turn it's back upright and stays there. Start with bands or cable ties if you like, If I recall I was thinking of using garden ties first go. But I soon worked out it's quicker without them.

has anyone had bad experiences with the Abelo electric extractors, rusting etc?

We use an Abelo extractor and find it excellent, never seen any rust. If you have any rust, give them a call and see if they will sort out?
S

If a frame slumps to rest on the central rod while loading, first gentle turn it's back upright and stays there. Start with bands or cable ties if you like

I've got a continental extractor set up for very big frames (Langstroth?). I find that loose cable ties slipped over the ends of the frames work well and keep them in place as you spin up.

Ok thanks.

Also this being my first extractor I'm not sure if this is right... the outside and the base inside the drum are highly polised stainless steel but the drum inside is not polised but a dull grey, is that normal? I thought it should all be polised..

make sure there isn't a protective film on the stainless inside.
the extractor in the link is shiny inside .

stainless mig wire could be an option

Latest posts

Back