Extractor drive mechanism and inner workings!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngyoungs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
More than 4
I have an old manual tangential EH Taylor extractor with a triangular basket which takes 6 super frames. Today whilst extracting some frames, something 'gave' inside the mechanism, so the basket didn't always spin as fast as I was turning the handle.

HWMBO took it to pieces, and found a roller bearing which seems to have failed, but there also didn't appear to be a way of transferring the drive along the shaft from the handle to the gear and thence the basket. We expected a simple direct drive mechanism, but it's more complicated than that (including the roller bearing-what's purpose does it serve?).

Please can someone explain the inside workings, a diagram would be great, and then any ideas of the best way of repairing it.

Thanks

:sos:

if the bearing has broken there are usually numbers on them. Replacements can be bought from any bearing manufacturer. Have a search on gooogle.

Craig,

Thanks for your reply,

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=410&pictureid=3330\uc0\u8236
I wish it were so simple. I have uploaded a picture of the inside of the mechanism. If it is the bearing that has gone, there aren't any markings on it. The bearing "pins" were inside the large cylinder in the centre of the picture.

The only lettering is on the shiny steel cylinder which says Picador, made in uk, fig 28. The internet search revealed this to be a flexible coupling, though I am struggling to see how it works given the distance between it and the rest of the mechanism.

Last edited:
It seems as though you have a drive pin that has sheared and left you with a 'friction' drive. Can't be sure from your post. Not enough info to detetmine the exact power train configuration.

Bearings are loosely decribed by outer, inner and thickness dimensions. Other niceties like ball or roller, open or sealed, speed rating, design tolerances, etc follow, depending on loadings/duty. This will be a basic bearing, I would think, simply allowing one shaft to rotate within a fixed carrier. Sorry but just guessing.

RAB

RAB

Thanks for the reply, great to have your advice. HWMBO doesn't think there is a direct drive shaft, rather two shafts connected within a collar which contains a needle bearing.
reasoning being if there was a direct drive shaft, what purpose does the needle bearing serve?

We wondered about a one way bearing, effectively providing a ratchet system within the drive, so you only get friction and then drive through the mechanism when you turn the handle one way.

Great piece of engineering, but with no distinguishing features this might be a tricky one to fix.

Ask Thornes.

They took over Taylor a few years back.
And Thorne have the reputation of helping to fix 'their' kit.
But … they seem to be silly busy, it has been over a week and my order still hasn't shipped! (Its usually only like that at Sale time, isn't it?)

If they are needle roller bearings they would have to be one way as you said otherwise the drive would not be connected, clever idea, I have only seen them in fly fishing reels.
http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-types/one-way-bearings

I am visualising your "roller bearing" as having angled slots in the end pieces which in one direction of rotation allow the "rollers" to move outwards but in the other direction of rotation move inwards and grip the inner shaft? However if replacement is not available would it be a massive problem if the drive was solid? It would mean the handle would continue to rotate while the basket slowed down but so what - other units (mine included) do that.
Improvise, adapt and overcome!

All,
Thank you so much for the replies, you really helped with the explanations, links and suggestions. Secondly, I had great quality feedback in 24 hours. This is what the forum is all about, well done!

Latest posts

Back