Extraction Rapeseed Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 (carniolan)
Very new to this.. been reading up on various methods of extraction and various extraction boards. The book I am reading at the moment says they can't be used with rapeseed honey. The only method suggested is smoke them, brush them and hope for the best?! Is this really the only method? Thanks

Apologies to admin for duplicate thread - can't find a way to delete..

Last edited:
Are you talking about extraction or clearing supers of bees? If the latter then a good clearer board will work just fine. Search the old posts for one from polyhive that had a great example.

Very new to this.. been reading up on various methods of extraction and various extraction boards. The book I am reading at the moment says they can't be used with rapeseed honey. The only method suggested is smoke them, brush them and hope for the best?! Is this really the only method? Thanks

Apologies to admin for duplicate thread - can't find a way to delete..
I think you are talking about removing the bees from the honeycombs? Extraction refers to the removal of the honey from the combs in a centrifuge (extractor)

There are many methods of removing bees from the supers (honey boxes) but my favourite is to squirt a product called Fischers "Bee Quick" onto a cloth (e.g. a tea towel) and lay this on the top of the frames. You cover it with the roof for a few minutes and the bees will move away. Bee Quick is based on almond oil and the bees dislike the smell. They move away without any stress or aggression. It works better on a warm day. You should be able to take a peek between the combs after a few minutes and see they are deserted.

I thought almond was an attack smell. It was all I could smell when I knocked a hive over!
E

I thought almond was an attack smell. It was all I could smell when I knocked a hive over!
E

Bee Quick is intended for clearing supers and it smells quite strongly of almonds. I love the way it smells.
An aggressive colony smells different to me....slightly acidic (like vinegar).

I think you are talking about removing the bees from the honeycombs? Extraction refers to the removal of the honey from the combs in a centrifuge (extractor)

There are many methods of removing bees from the supers (honey boxes) but my favourite is to squirt a product called Fischers "Bee Quick" onto a cloth (e.g. a tea towel) and lay this on the top of the frames. You cover it with the roof for a few minutes and the bees will move away. Bee Quick is based on almond oil and the bees dislike the smell. They move away without any stress or aggression. It works better on a warm day. You should be able to take a peek between the combs after a few minutes and see they are deserted.

Have just placed an order - really appreciate the advice thankyou!

Latest posts

Back