extracting honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfitz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
just finished extracting honey very messy I have to say, im thinking of getting a better extracter for next year the one I have was the cheapest around, anyone have any recommendations thinking of getting one with a motor whats the best value and suits national frames.

just finished extracting honey very messy I have to say, im thinking of getting a better extracter for next year the one I have was the cheapest around, anyone have any recommendations thinking of getting one with a motor whats the best value and suits national frames.

Can yours be modified to take a motor/drill etc?
We (4 of us) have an 8 frame electric, which is great when you have loads of frames.
Shows and sales are usually the best time to buy, sorry can't offer any advice on makes.

What do you have at the moment? electric puts the price up a lot, and a manual 9-frame radial would be a huge improvement on a 2-frame tangential.

What is your budget for the extractor

Craig

For 3 hives motor extractor is super hyper expencive. It makes the same mesh.

Sieving honey is normally the mesh thing
and lifting buckets

4-frame hand extractor works fine with 3-5 hives.

Last edited:
I would agree with Finman, 4 frame hand extractor is quite therapeutic when extracting a couple of suppers at a time.

They seem to hold up on the second hand market for price as well.

However if you are intending to upscale your hive numbers it may wise to upgrade to power but they seem to jump in price some what.

I guess we all have our ways, but procedural efficiency seems to be the key in reducing messy play with honey extraction :) it does seem to quickly escalate to sticky all over tho

Thanks 4 the replys everyone im thinking of increasing number of hives in the coming years allright, so i want a good extractor to last a life time i be willing to pay top price for the right one, so just looking for advice on which extractor is best with national frames thanks

I use a lega 9 frame electric cant fault it.

Craig

The size of extractor grows all the time the better it is.

If you get more hives, buy then the extractor, and sell the small one. Not now. Price is huge.

I have 6 frames extractor. I uncap frames and during that time the extractor makes previous 6 frames.

The whole system is important. Not only extractor. Bottle necks appears then.

One way is to get good extractor, and then offer extracting services to other hobbiest. We have here 60 cents per kilo service fee.

thanks for the advice finman but the next extractor I buy will be the last so looking for the right one,

thanks for the advice finman but the next extractor I buy will be the last so looking for the right one,

Finman's point is sensible- there is no 'best' extractor, there's optimal for you. If you buy a massive one a) it's thousands, b) you need a building to house it in, and c) the honey from a few supers would mostly get lost in the clean-down. A 9-frame radial will do a lot more than 3 hives, but can be used for small qtys as well.

Ditto what Skyhook says.

A large capacity extractor is also big and heavy, so isn't easily moved by one person. Might not fit into your car, or might be a tight squeeze getting it through the door into your kitchen or wherever you currently extract.

The advantage of a powered extractor is that you can have that running whilst you uncap more frames, so can save time.

Latest posts

Back