extracting honey from 14x12 brood frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a few 14x12 brood frames that are full of sealed stores. I want to extract the honey to jar it, but without destroying the comb.

How can I do this?

Uncap as normal, I use an uncapping fork which is easier to get through the tougher comb without destroying any, and extract.
My radial Giordan will take 14x 12s tangentially

Some extractors are large enough (e.g. the one used by Martha Kearney). Perhaps your BKA has one that is large enough?

You may find a local commercial operation that is helpful in this respect.

Thanks E.

Will the 14x12's fit in most extractors? Is there a way of doing it without the use of an extractor?

Thanks E.

Will the 14x12's fit in most extractors? Is there a way of doing it without the use of an extractor?

"Most" would be a debating point.

The question is whether any particular extractor you might have access to will do the job.
I chose my "9 frame radial" Park Beekeeping (Lega-made?) extractor partly because, with tangential screens fitted, it can take (3) 14x12's.
Notably Thornes "Universal" range do not hold 14x12's properly (and are honestly advertised as being unsuited to those frames).

Without an extractor, you can empty the combs of old syrup stores by uncapping and then soaking them in barely-warm (not hot - think 40C) water for a long while (time depending on degree of crystallisation).
Or if you are trying to obtain good honey without a centrifugal extractor, it means destroying the comb - the name "crush & strain" describes the method well.

No need to destroy all the wax. Scraping carefully to the septum is possible as long as the honey is not seriously granulated. Basically saves new foundation.

... if you are trying to obtain good honey without a centrifugal extractor, it means destroying the comb ...

No need to destroy all the wax. Scraping carefully to the septum is possible as long as the honey is not seriously granulated. Basically saves new foundation.

Yes you can scrape off the comb and leave the midrib. Destroying the comb.
You can even get a special cutter for this task - a "Smith cutter" - which is ordinarily used for scraping off combs of heather honey, before pressing to extract.

If you were to consume cut comb, would you leave the midrib? Or would you completely masticate the septum, along with the rest of the comb? If you answer 'yes', then the midrib is part of the comb, shirley? I would think that 'scrape' will likely be sufficient to break down the cell walls adequately, without further crushing, before straining?

I can't really be bothered to debate semantics any more, but to me, in this discussion, "comb" is what the bees have drawn - and which cannot be bought. That is what would be broken down by any non-centrifugal honey extraction process.
The asset of drawn comb is much more valuable to the bees and beekeeper than the financial cost of foundation. Whether it is worth more or less than the honey in that comb is a personal call for the beekeeper.

Latest posts

Back